The Masked Singer: The complete list of clues for every season 4 contestant
The Masked Singer is officially back for its fourth season, which means new clues to obsessively overanalyze.
Every week, we'll be updating this list with all of the clues from each contestant's clue package, as well as what songs they sang, the judges' guesses, and other observations.
So get out your thinking caps and fire up those search engines: It's officially time to identify those masked celebrity singers!
- Sneak peek episode clue: "If you want to know who's behind my mask, you’ll need to figure out who’s under my hats."
- "How does a mushroom grow up to be a healer and a scholar? I sprouted up underground — young, scrappy, and fungi," Mushroom says in first package, the first of numerous references to Hamilton lyrics
- A hotdog stand topped by a brown hat, a green grasshopper playing violin, cheese, gardening tools, and a giant turnip with a tie all show up in the package
- He started out in "the rat race, at a job that may surprise you"
- Says his world turned upside down and he got his shot to turn "a hobby into a career"
- People didn't understand him but he kept "growing and grinding until somebody said yes to this"
- "Shroom where it happens"
- "Now I'm able to rise up and help others grow. It may have been a broken road to get here, but it means the world to share my story on this stage"
- Second clue package starts at a high school called "North Spore High School"
- "Even as a young shroom, I knew I was off-beat"
- An orange slice, a cup of orange juice, a sunny side up egg, two black beetles, bedazzled sunglasses, and a tiara all appear in the second clue package
- Mushroom is seen holding a Mean Girls-esque burn book with a picture of a buck and the Kangaroo from season 3 in it
- "You can't sit with us" — another Mean Girls reference?
- "I was around strange food and customs, but then I realized under the surface, we're all entangled together as one, and even a porcini or cremini can be a prom queenie"
- He was a "nerd and outcast" who decided to proudly share his "unique gift"
- Says his "weirdness" led him here
- Mushroom's third package comes courtesy of a "real life government agent," which the show calls "Mushroom's Secret Confidant"
- The confidant has a "Top Secret" folder for a head and is surrounded by a doll in a pink dress with long brown hair, a water jug with a brown hat on top, folders, a flashing red light, and a red telephone
- "Off the record, Mushroom has always been a go-getter. In high school, Mushroom was class president with a GPA over 4.0"
- There's a yearbook entry from Mushroom that says, "K.I.T. Have an awesome summer! Stay cool!"
- The yearbook also has the following names in it: Morel Hershiser, "Fun" Gus Smith, Wood Ear Harrelson, Steve Enoki, Chanterelle Jeffries
- "Whether it's helping underprivileged youth, or making phone calls for important causes, Mushroom's work ethic is unrivaled"
- An empty boxing ring and a bull are given a close-up and the doll is shown getting her hair brushed
- The third clue package ends with "Secret Confidant" taking a call from "Mr. President"
- His Super Six onstage clue says "Cooling Court"
- Says someone close to him died during the pandemic
- Super Six Super Clue is a clock set to 3 o'clock. "What time is it? Time to make it to the final three," Mushroom says
- Special cookie clue spelled out "50." The 5 had green and red striped icing and the 0 featured a depiction of the solar system. Of the clue, Mushroom said, "I hope you left mushroom for dessert. These look out of this world in any month, but do you know what they mean?"
- His final clue package shows him wielding Dr. Strange-esque powers
- Says his inspiration for the Mushroom was his daughter: "I channel her mannerisms, her voice, and her love of dressing up every time I step out onto this stage."
- "While most of you have shopped to my music in the supermarket and heard me on the radio, not a lot of you know me by name"
- The package ends on a theme of universal connectedness
- First performance: Sang "This Woman's Work" by Maxwell (originally by Kate Bush)
- Mushroom said of their costume, "The earth is such a beautiful place, and as the mushroom, I want to remind everyone that we are all connected."
- Second performance: Sang "If I Could Turn Back Time" by Cher
- Mushroom's magical clue was a brain on a platter. "A mind is a terrible thing to waste but it makes for a pretty sweet clue," they said.
- Third performance: Sang "Unconditionally" by Katy Perry
- Mushroom's game-changing clue was a note that said "Do not open, especially on TV" on the outside. On the inside, it read, "The name that I go by now was not my name when I first sprouted."
- Fourth performance: Sang "Valerie" by Amy Winehouse
- Mushroom's safe clue was a safe inside a safe and their connection is to Robin Thicke. "Robin, I love mixing it up with you again, because this is definitely not the first time we've connected," they said.
- Fifth performance: Sang "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder
- His special gift is to Nicole Scherzinger, and it's Mushroom Cookie Dough ice cream. Of it, he said, "You've been so sweet to me with all your compliments, so here's a sweet holiday treat for you."
Judges' guesses: Donald Glover, Usher, Frank Ocean, Adam Lambert, Jaden Smith, Taye Diggs, The Weeknd, Jordan Fisher, Leslie Odom Jr., Keegan-Michael Key, Ne-Yo, Pharrell Williams, Aloe Blacc
UPDATE: Mushroom came in second place on Dec. 16. See who this fungi turned out to be.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "I assure you that while I may be cold-blooded, I have a warm and glowing flow with H20."
- Her first clue package has her sharing her "little fairytale" with a book titled "The Little(ish) Jellyfish"
- "Once upon a time, I reigned supreme over an entire underwater kingdom, but after moving from coast to coast for so long, my castle started to feel like a gilded cage"
- Red and white fans, white lilies, an organ, steam pipes, a tiara, a flower crown, and baby powder all appear in the first package
- Says she got to branch out and experience things she missed out on, like making friends, going to parties, and being free
- There's a sign that says, "New Rules: No rough guys, no just can't get enough guys, no chest always so puffed guys"
- There's a reference to Coachella called "Glowjella"
- Says she's "going with the flow" on a new adventure
- She's shown next to an angel fish and a stingray
- Says she's super competitive and "usually the best" at what she does
- A film projector, a ship called USS Big Bird, a candle, a blowfish, a triangle, cereal, and a purple double-sided lightsaber are all given a close-up in the second package
- Says she's here without "the people who pick me up when I fall" — her family, which is portrayed as having five total jellyfish in it
- "My parents are the sea's knees, sacrificing time and their careers so I could follow my dream"
- Says her "Papa Jelly" helped engineer her whole world, as they're shown meditating/doing yoga together
- She says her dad would wake up at 3 a.m., put her in the car, and she'd wake up "hours later at gigs in faraway lands”
- Jellyfish's third clue package comes courtesy of her sister, who has a calculator set to 57714 as a head and is surrounded by a tic-tac-toe board, a rainbow fidget spinner, a coffee mug, a golden stapler, a palm plant, and books
- "Jellyfish has always been the rebel of our by-the-book family and in reality she's also the overachiever" — could it be a reality show reference?
- The sister is shown filing her nails with a pink nail file as she says Jellyfish has had so many accomplishments already, but she "is always eager to challenge herself in new arenas"
- Jellyfish is shown in what looks like a karaoke bar as her sister says they love singing along to The Masked Singer and she's "no stranger to her gorgeous voice"
- "With her work ethic, it's no surprise she's come this far. Good luck Jelly! By my count you've got a great shot at the Super Six. You're number 1!"
- Her Super Six onstage clue says "Up & Downs Drive"
- Super Six Super Clue is an Eiffel Tower miniature. "Bonjour from Paris. Au revoir," she says
- First performance: Sang "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie
- On what made her decide to do the show, she said, "Jellyfish have a powerful sting. I'm really competitive with myself, so I wanted to come here and prove something."
- Second performance: Sang "Crazy" by Patsy Cline
- Jellyfish's magical clue was a tiger. "If you can earn your stripes and pounce on this clue, grrr," she said.
- Third performance: Sang "Don't Start Now" by Dua Lipa
- Her game-changing clue was a message in a bottle that says, "If you find this, you'll know I've never performed on a stage quite like this before."
- Fourth performance: Sang "Stay" by Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko
- Her safe clue was an under-the-sea themed safe with a seashell in it, and her connection is to Ken Jeong. "Dr. Ken, I'll be direct. We've never met but I can't say I didn't try," she said.
Judges' guesses: Gabby Douglas, Awkwafina, Sofia Richie, Lana Condor, Jamie Lynn Spears, Halle Bailey, Charli XCX, Kylie Jenner, McKayla Maroney, Chloe Kim, Grimes
UPDATE: Jellyfish took her glowing talents elsewhere on Dec. 2. See who she ended up being.
- Sneak peek episode clue: “I'm a Broco-lean, mean, heart-pumping machine. After all, it’s how I got my six-pack."
- First clue package starts off like a TikTok video with "60m likes and 75 comments" on it
- "First, you snap, two, three and then brocco-lean back, two, three" — Nicole Scherzinger mentions it's like Jason Derulo doing a TikTok dance
- Dogs made out of peppers, a soup can, cheese, a Mariachi band, a yellow sports car with the license plate LD1ESMN, and a car wash appear in the first package
- "A contest greased the wheels for my career, and now I'm so humbled to work with the biggest artists"
- Calls himself a "kid rolling with the OGs" but performing is his passion and he's been on "many stages"
- Second clue package spoofs GoodFellas with "FoodFellas"
- "As far back as I could remember, I have always wanted to be a broccoli — I dreamed of being a superfood that enriches people's lives"
- He's seen at the Copabanana, an obvious play on Copacabana, which has the number 900 painted on the door
- "I had dinner with a legendary friend, the big cheese… I raced home and after pulling an all-nighter, I cooked up a beauty that really packed a punch"
- The numbers 3-7-2-6-5, an anchor, red wine, a Hawaiian pizza, a guitar, an oven set to 6 a.m., and a pay phone all appear in the package
- Says he created a "classic, and all from one meal"
- Broccoli's third package comes courtesy of his "Leading Ladies" who he says are the keys to his success
- The ladies are dressed in black and white stripes and polka dots, and have top hats for heads
- They're surrounded by a giant inflated die, a lit-up bullseye, and a giant ball — very Vegas vibes
- Broccoli is "the master of our lives" and always "the greatest showman"
- They say he's "larger than life" and "lives to light up a room" as Jason Voorhees' mask is shown
- Apparently Broccoli used to sneak into the local circus and watch through a hole in the curtain, dreaming of one day being a performer, but then he got caught
- A toy moose head is shown, as are a bunch of beetles
- "The other contestants better watch out — he approaches everything with unparalleled perfectionism and pizzazz"
- First performance: Sang "House Is Rockin'/Whole Lotta Shakin Going On" by Stevie Ray Vaughan/Jerry Lee Lewis
- When asked if he's a big fan of broccoli, he said, "I love broccoli. I eat it all the time because I believe in eating healthy."
- Second performance: Sang "Hello" by Lionel Richie
- Broccoli's magical clue was a roulette wheel with the ball on black 26. "Take this clue for a spin and you may land on my identity if you're lucky," he said.
- Third performance: Sang "Old Time Rock & Roll" by Bob Seger
- His game-changing clue was a note that said, "Do not put your Broccoli in the microwave, which was invented after I was born."
- Of his favorite Thanksgiving food, he says, "Turkey, of course. I [also] like candied yams and a 42-year-old in Chicago."
Judges' guesses: Bill Murray, Howie Mandel, Steve Guttenberg, Wayne Newton, Martin Short, Jason Alexander, Al Roker, Ringo Starr, Paul Anka
UPDATE: Broccoli was unmasked on Nov. 26. See who was under the big green mask.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "A special set of keys reversed my game forever. Tic-tac-whoa."
- First clue package takes place in a lagoon with tiki torches and tropical paradise details
- "Soon I'll croon and make you swoon"
- Says becoming the crocodile was natural because he's "happiest in water," as he's shown sliding down a slip 'n slide with red heart balloons around it
- Says he grew up in Hollywood surrounded by "heartache and instability"
- Seen sitting at a table with an Italian flag nearby and a pineapple with a fish in it
- He's a "warm, sensitive creature who just wants to be loved back"
- A rainbow, a hotel, and a fountain are shown as Nicole Scherzinger remarks that she's getting "Vegas vibes" from the package
- "I can't wait to share my hidden talent as I make a wicked big splash"
- His second clue package starts off with a house with a 5 on the door, an American flag and pirate flag out front, and a pond with lily pads in the yard
- Inside the house, an anchor, hair spray, a mirrorball, and a "Crocodile Family Reunion 2014" photo are shown
- He's then shown in the backyard surrounded by an orange tree and dead roses as he says he used to "stand in my backyard performing to each weed and rose petal"
- "My own father didn't believe in my talent," he says, as a mustachioed crocodile is seen inside the house watching "30Croc"
- He says he later gave his first paycheck of $100 to his father, who cried "actual crocodile tears and believed in me"
- "A few years later, shazam! My field of dreams became a field of reality. Tonight, I'm putting the toxic parts of my past behind me."
- Crocodile's third clue package comes courtesy of his close friend "Interviewer to the Stars," who is shown in a DJ booth
- A red speedboat, a toy airplane, a house of cards, a lottery card with 130 million on it, and a globe all appear in the third package
- "We've been all around the world together. Once, we traveled the six continents in a hundred hours," Interviewer says
- Says Croc will go "relentlessly, step-by-step" to beat the high score at a video game, and says he has a "one-track mind"
- His Super Six onstage clue says "Jeans Block"
- The clue package shows him with two children
- Super Six Super Clue is a pizza rat. "Paesanos, this clue is bellissima," he says
- Special cookie clue featured two heart-shaped cookies, one black and one blue. Of the clue, he said, "I'm starting to crocodile into some new talents. I put my heart and soul into these and just a hint of hints. Can you figure them out?"
- In his last clue package he says he was dirt poor growing up, and he mowed lawns to afford his first album, Frontiers by Journey.
- First performance: Sang "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi
- Said of becoming the crocodile, "I've had to have tough skin my whole life to survive, because I'm really sensitive on the inside, and being anonymous gives me the opportunity to share my true self with the world."
- Second performance: Sang "Toxic" by Britney Spears
- His childhood clue was a crocodile piñata with dolphins inside. "I just cracked the case wide open, because this clue has an important porpoise to it," he said.
- Third performance: Sang "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis
- His game-changing clue from a former contestant that he has a connection with came from season 1's Bee (Gladys Knight). The clue read, "Croc was in a huge cult classic movie."
- Fourth performance: Sang "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith
- Croc's safe clue was a bedazzled safe and his connection is to guest panelist Craig Robinson. "Hey Craig, you're one of my favorite actors and it's so cool to be able to share the screen with you again," he said.
- Fifth performance: Sang "Open Arms" by Journey
- His special gift is to Jenny McCarthy-Wahlberg, and it's an angel. Of it, he said, "I just want to thank you for your kind words. You helped me believe in myself a little bit more."
Judges' guesses: Jon Hamm, Nick Lachey, Donnie Wahlberg, Adam Lambert, Lenny Kravitz, Harry Connick Jr., Jared Leto, Jordan Knight, Justin Guarini, AJ McLean, Nick Carter, Howie Dorough
UPDATE: Crocodile came in third place on Dec. 16. See which boy bander was under the bright pink mask.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "Living in the ocean can be dangerous, so it's always good to find a quiet place to hide."
- Her first clue package takes place in "OK Coral"
- She's shown wearing a cowboy hat ("howdy partners") and blowing a bubble
- Two dogs (possibly poodles or goldendoodles), a rainbow stuffed frog, teacups, and a white dove are shown
- "All my life I've felt trapped by my insecurities and shyness, too scared to release the fire burnin' inside," she says with a Southern accent
- "You may call me melodramatic but at times I felt lost in this world," she says, as a giant hollowed-out tree and a hog with warts on it are shown
- Dolphins and lassoed cowboys are shown as she says, "I was always swimming upstream, but here I get the chance to stop playing tug-of-war with myself and finally expose the dauntless diva within"
- The "Emotion Ocean" appears as she says she's on a "path to glory"
- Her second clue package starts off with her on a wagon that has a crossed out broken smile symbol on it
- She shows up to the "Under the Sea Saloon and Rodeo" that has a "Place Your Bets" sign out front
- "I'm a bit tame in my normal life, but when I stepped into this costume, my inner diva Seahorse Fierce comes alive."
- The men in black are wearing Daisy Duke shorts
- A clown with a "fail" sign, a bull, a green light, a broken heart sign that says "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes," and clocks with wings that are set to 9 o'clock all show up in the second package
- When she was young she acted like a "hero" and wanted to make a name for herself
- "Heartbroken, I posted up in my room for what felt like a thousand years, spilling my soul onto the page"
- Like many people lately, she says she has experienced "unimaginable loss and pain"
- Seahorse's third clue package comes courtesy of her "Spiritual Advisor," who has a box of tissue for a head and is surrounded by two baby dolls, a Christmas wreath, a bunch of grapes, and Nashville hot chicken and pickles
- He describes Seahorse as "the girl next door, with just a backpack and a guitar, ready to work"
- A brief shot of a neighborhood is shown, and there's a bonfire in front of one of the houses
- "I must confess, she even made this tough hombre cry. She's just so unassuming she doesn't even know how good she really is"
- Her Super Six onstage clue says "Soul Street"
- Super Six Super Clue is a telescope. "Do you see things more clearly now?" she says
- First performance: Sang "Only Girl (In the World)" by Rihanna
- Said of her costume, "It's just so fun to have this alter ego, honestly, and something about putting a mask on, you really just get to let it shine."
- Second performance: Sang "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion
- Her childhood clue was a periwinkle balloon with rainbow-colored feathers inside. "Alright Nick, light as a feather, heavy on clues, this should help you not confuse," she said.
- Third performance: Sang "...Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears
- Her game-changing clue from a former contestant that she has a connection with came from season 3's Astronaut (Hunter Hayes). The clue read, "Seahorse was never in a girl group." Of the clue, Seahorse said, "That's right guys. I've never been in a girl group, I've always been solo."
- Fourth performance: Sang "That's What I Like" by Bruno Mars
- Seahorse's safe clue was a rainbow treasure chest and her connection is to Nick Cannon. "So Nick, this is wild, but even before this show you were a great host to me," she said.
Judges' guesses: Halsey, Hailee Steinfeld, Bebe Rexha, Camila Cabello, Jessica Simpson, Kesha, Kellie Pickler, Sia, Tori Kelly
UPDATE: Seahorse swam away on Dec. 2. See which soulful singer was under that bedazzled mask.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "This sun knows how to shine like a torch even during the freezing winter."
- A badge with "fun director gold member" on it is shown
- "I’ve had some extreme seasons in life"
- Masked Singer guards are seen bathing poolside with floaties on — the pool shows a "shallow area" and 2 ft. and 7 ft. markers
- A chihuahua, asteroids and planets, a tennis racket, a jaguar, and a Mickey Mouse head are all shown
- "When I sprung into existence, I felt like the center of the universe... at first, stardom was great, but it was a ton of pressure"
- She says she got burned out, and fell into “deep depression”
- "I was frozen, but within the darkness of a quiet place, I transformed into a ray of light"
- Says she missed out on a lot of her childhood "growing up in a fractured home" but she's made up for that by "discovering childlike outlets to make life magical"
- A black widow and hourglass, birds, and a heart-shaped blue butterfly all show up in the second package
- She's shown going into the woods, leaving footprints behind
- "I love dirt in my toes, a young memory of mine, and the land that slides as my heart walks the line"
- She's seen stirring a cauldron with purple liquid in it that she puts candy canes and blonde pigtails into
- Says she's become "a wiz at cooking up tasty treats for a like-minded and material girl"
- "I'm always looking at the bright side, burning ugly rumors out of my life," she says as she's pictured in a circle of candles
- Sun's third clue package comes courtesy of her "Sol Mate," who is sitting next to a windchime with blue angels on it, cow figurines, a picture of the aurora borealis, and a blue sleeping bag
- Says he and Sun have made the most of their time off by taking their RV out on roadtrips, and a Welcome to Baltimore sign flashes on screen
- A sign for Alaska is shown as he says they don't need a lot to be happy, just each other
- Sun is shown next to a Greetings from Mexico sign as her "Sol Mate" says she misses entertaining people and "she's never taken this long of a break from spreading her light"
- Her Super Six onstage clue says "Early Riser Road"
- Super Six Super Clue is her breathing fire and saying, "Sorry!"
- Special cookie clue featured a Sun cookie and a 2000 lb. weight cookie. Of the clue, she said, "I had a ton of fun baking these. Glad I didn't burn them. Can you solve them?"
- In her final clue package she says she's been in the industry since she was a kid
- "You might see me as a little girl with big dreams, or a pop princess, or the more grounded woman I am today," she says as she's shown in both blue and gold light
- There's several other references to the color blue and she mentions her partner as someone who's got her through all her tough times
- First performance: Sang “Cuz I Love You” by Lizzo
- Said of her costume, "Well, when I put this mask on I felt like it was a reflection of who I am personally, and I like it."
- Second performance: Sang "Praying" by Kesha
- Her drone clue was a Magic 8-Ball: "Will this Magic 8-Ball help you conjure up my identity? Outlook not so hot."
- Third performance: Sang "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin
- Her loved one's special clue was: "Now panel, I got you a game-changing clue. The Sun is actually golden. She's got at least one single that went certified gold."
- Fourth performance: Sang "When the Party's Over" by Billie Eilish
- Her safe clue was a sun-covered safe with a golden necklace inside, and her connection is to Nicole Scherzinger. "Well, it's great to see you on this big stage because last time we met was in the bathroom," she said.
- Fifth performance: Sang "The Story" by Brandi Carlile
- Her special gift is to Robin Thicke, and it's mistletoe. Of it, she said, "This is just a little something to say thank you for all your compliments and encouragement this season."
Judges’ guesses: Katharine McPhee, Demi Lovato, Madonna, Mandy Moore, Carrie Underwood, Jewel, LeAnn Rimes, Brandi Carlile, Emilia Clarke, Kate Hudson
UPDATE: Sun won it all on Dec. 16. See which Grammy-winning superstar was under the luminous mask.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "When you watch my onscreen performance it will be in 3D: dynamic, delightful, and diva-licious. Mirror mirror on the wall, what makes me the biggest miracle of all?"
- First clue package is an homage to Sex and the City called "Snacks and the City"
- "Hey all you cool corns and cornettes" — reference to Tiger King?
- "I'm Ms. Popcorn, if you’re tasty"
- Speaks with a strong New York accent, but could be faking or exaggerating it
- Says she built a career "around love," but that doesn't mean she's "soft"
- A green snake, a partially eaten red apple, meatloaf, Vogue and Better Homes and Gardens magazines, tigers, a silver starfish, and gold hoops on a gold fish all appear in the first package
- Mentions "jet-setting to exotic places with royalty"
- A bus drives by with an ad for her Broadway show on it
- "You may think I'm a little cheesy, but I worked for what I got"
- Second clue package has soap opera vibes and is called "The Corn and the Beautiful"
- Says she picked the Popcorn costume because she wanted to step "far out of [her] comfort zone," but her favorite part of the show is flirting with Nick Cannon
- "I wasn't always the healthiest treat," she says as she's pictured laying in a hospital bed
- When she was young, she suffered from a "bizarre condition" where she couldn't eat or sleep, and it led to anxiety and her feeling like she was in an "emotional prison"
- Three cats are shown, as are candles in the shape of the number 16
- A hair crimper and a Rubik's Cube appear
- A rainbow flag appears as she says she survived her ordeal because of her voice
- Popcorn's third clue package comes courtesy of her "Royal BFF"
- "I know Popcorn through a mutual friend — technically a queen associate"
- A stuffed deer, a sewing kit, bunny ears on top of a bowl of matzo ball soup, and grey stones all appear in the third package
- Says she can never get Popcorn to sing at her "famous karaoke parties"
- "At least she's singing for you all here, on a stage I've been on before, dun dun dun"
- Says she's always in Popcorn's "court"
- Her Super Six onstage clue says "Lasso Lane"
- Says she's been performing since the other singers "were in diapers"
- Super Six Super Clue is a stop sign. "Ok, time to sign off," she says
- First performance: Sang "What About Us" by Pink
- Said of her costume, "Well, Nick, just like popcorn I can be quite buttery at times, very salty, but also very sweet."
- Second performance: Sang "Falling" by Harry Styles
- Her drone clue was Venus: "The second rock from the sun may be far away, but it should bring you closer to me."
- Third performance: Sang "Domino" by Jessie J
- Her loved one's special clue was: "To my friends up there, not only have I been here before, but in the show's history, one of you has also guessed Popcorn."
- Fourth performance: Sang "Better Be Good to Me" by Tina Turner
- Her safe clue was a popcorn-themed safe with a bucket of popcorn inside. Her connection is to Jenny McCarthy-Wahlberg. "Jenny, we've definitely talked before, but never about how we are both published authors," she said.
Judges' guesses: Tina Turner, Carole Baskin, Mary J. Blige, Gloria Gaynor, Katy Perry, Vanessa Williams, Taylor Dayne, Cyndi Lauper, Anita Baker, Anika Noni Rose, Mary Wilson, Bette Midler
UPDATE: Popcorn popped off of The Masked Singer stage on Dec. 2. See which '80s popstar was behind those big green eyes.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "If you want to know how I instantly appeared, here's the prescription number to my identity: 31118."
- First package features him eating a banana while sitting next to a fire surrounded by books, including "How to Dig Yourself Out of Debt" and "Serpent's Manual"
- A map of the Caribbean is shown as he says "there was a series of miraculous events to get here"
- Signs for musicology and medicine are shown
- Apparently, he was a troublemaker in his youth, as he's shown throwing a paper airplane on fire
- "I was slithering furiously down a path towards destruction, but my pops saved me by buying me a one-way ticket away from the wrong crowd and on to a path towards success"
- His dad is shown with a hat that says "Serpent Sr." and he has a red mustache
- There's a book called "How to be a Good Serpent"
- Says he then aspired to "new heights" and he didn't want to "cause pain, but heal pain"
- Second clue package starts off with him holding a croissant with bacon on it, standing at an ATM where he gets a receipt for $2
- "I've taken an unorthodox path to get here. Starting out, I could barely make rent" — is that a Rent reference?
- He's shown in a clothing store where there's a mannequin dressed as a doctor in the background
- He said he sold clothes and did manual labor to make money
- He's portrayed in a hard hat next to a sign that says "electrical transformer"
- "I had patience, but all I heard from the gatekeepers was, 'No, no, no.'"
- A pink Cadillac and golden croissant trophy appear
- Serpent's third clue package comes courtesy of his "College Roommate," who has a pizza box for a head and is surrounded by more pizza, chips, cups, a baseball bat, a poster that says "Serpent Strikes Backsss," a foam finger, trophies, popcorn, and a toy ambulance
- A "good peanut butter" and "good mayo" also appear
- "He suffered through a million setbacks, but I remember the day when suddenly everything changed. It was like God finally flipped the light switch"
- "College Roommate" says Serpent wasn't looking for fame but fame found him as sunflowers appear in the background
- A bucket of suds with gloves and a sponge are given a close-up
- Offers Serpent a piece of advice, noting he doesn’t sing as well when he’s stressed: “Take a breath, calm your nerves, and imagine yourself in the Super Six”
- First performance: Sang "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers
- "It's so surreal to be on this stage as a serpent. Music has the power to heal the world and I love to be able to share this gift with you"
- Second performance: Sang "The Bones" by Maren Morris
- His childhood clue was a baby bottle on wheels. "This baby bottle should get your wheels turning," he said.
- Third performance: Sang "Cool" by Jonas Brothers
- His game-changing clue from a former contestant that he has a connection with came from season 2's Eagle (Dr. Drew Pinsky). The clue read, "Serpent has sung with one of you before."
Judges' guesses: John Legend, Daveed Diggs, Leslie Odom Jr., Taye Diggs, Jesse Williams, Brian McKnight, Jamie Foxx, Donald Faison, Dr. Elvis
UPDATE: Serpent slithered away on Nov. 18. Click here to see which viral sensation he turned out to be.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "Some might say my career had a magical start."
- His first clue package is very candy-colored
- He's seen high-fiving the men in black
- "I-I-I-I-I'm magical, mythical, jazzy and snazzy and full of pizzazz-y"
- People think he's shy because he "lets others absorb my spotlight"
- Fruit jello, a sun, chocolate bars, rainbow-colored bees, keys, and a black panther are all shown
- "I can dance with stars, surf candy bars, buzz with the bees, and swing from the keys"
- "It's time to turn the tables on the world, cuz I don't wanna be hair today and gone tomorrow"
- A cuckoo clock is shown, but instead of normal numbers, it has the numbers 2, 7, 8, 4.0, 1, 6, 12, a record player, a shrimp, the Bear from season 3, khaki pants, and a triangle on it
- Gives a shout-out to his glam squad for the "36,524 brush strokes" it takes to keep his costume camera-ready
- Says he's "free, free, free"
- He's seen on top of a dandelion with green airplanes flying towards him
- A golden staircase and a purple house are seen in the background as he rides balloons like in the movie Up
- He says at the height of his career, he was "ready to dance like never before" but then he got a deflating phone call that his mom was "in bad shape"
- "I wanted to be by her side, but she wanted me to continue the ride. She made me realize my dream was her dream, so I pushed forward"
- The second clue package features rainbows, a phone made out of a shoe, a blue mirror, and five 10-cent coins
- Whatchamacallit's third clue package comes courtesy of his mentor and teacher "Whatchaperone," who has a whistle as a head and is shown at a high school prom
- A coffee pot, Smarties, a crown, a guard bobblehead, and a paddle ball set all show up in the third package
- "Whatchaperone" says Whatcha always had a good head on his shoulders
- Says he was "focused and hard-working, but he could still surprise you"
- Apparently Whatcha took a senior girl to prom as a sophomore and busted out his impressive dance moves
- First performance: Sang "I Wish" by Skee-Lo
- Said of choosing his costume, "I love the name Whatchamacallit because I can be whoever I want to be inside this, and to me, that's my true self to present to the world."
- Second performance: Sang "Money Maker" by Ludacris (feat. Pharrell Williams)
- His childhood clue was a book called "Hairy Tales of the Whatcha Fam" by Doodad Doohickey. "I love a bedtime story, and I'm an open book. So Ken, you should know exactly who I am," he said.
- Third performance: Sang "Lean Back" by Terror Squad ft. Fat Joe & Remy Ma
- His game-changing clue from a former contestant that he has a connection with came from season 2's Ice Cream (Ninja). The clue read, "Whatcha's already won a championship."
Judges' guesses: Swizz Beatz, Damian Lillard, Tyler the Creator, Cam Newton, Terrell Owens, Armie Hammer, Lonzo Ball, Carmelo Anthony, J.B. Smoove
UPDATE: Whatchamacallit was sent home on Nov. 18. See who was ultimately under all that hair.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "You can try and figure out who we are, but as for who is more talented, it’s a tie."
- Their first clue package takes place in "Jam-a-lot"
- "So you haven’t seen us together in a while, but now it's time for a family reunion"
- "Working with him, he’s a prankster — a real wise guy," the female owl says
- "Anything for a laugh," he says, while pulling out a red rose from his pocket
- A street sign at the corner of Magnolia and Quarrel Canyon (a stand-in for Laurel Canyon) is shown
- The female owl says, "Oh, brother" — possible sibling vibes?
- They were working in Hollywood, and the male owl was driving the female owl home one day and singing "Let It Snow" off-key to "egg her on"
- "I just wanted to make Christmas extra magical," he says
- A castle in a forest, a pearl in a shell, and Christmas lights on a birdhouse are shown
- Male owl says they've always been there for each other, like when he was going through a messy breakup and "got swept up in an avalanche of emotions"
- An electronic "D" is shown on the floor
- An anchor with the word "management" with the "man" emphasized is shown as the female owl says she was his anchor
- A basketball with "DAL" on it appears
- He was her "knight in shining armor" during bad times as well: "I had an opportunity fit for a queen that I was too scared to do"
- The male owl tells her, "You can do it!" — Ken Jeong mentions it could be a reference to The Waterboy
- She says she then "took a leap of faith" and it was "life-changing"
- A bouncy house and a knotted rope are shown
- Both of them say "Huzzah!"
- Snow Owls' third clue package comes courtesy of their "Branchy Buddy"
- "Oh, I know the Owls. They've been perching on my arm for over 20 years now. For two total opposites, they really complement each other," he says
- There's a NASA space shuttle figurine, a Roy Rogers drink, a rocking horse, and a Parthenon figurine in the third package
- Their friend says the male owl pushes the female owl to believe in herself, and she has gotten him to "settle down from all the horsin' around"
- "He's got the louder voice of the two, and sometimes I feel Lady Owl gets overlooked, so it's been amazing to watch her step out from under his shadow and truly shine"
- First performance: Sang "Say Something" by A Great Big World
- When asked if they ever imagined being on stage in an egg, the male owl said, "No. I knew it would happen for me one day because I love wings."
- Second performance: Sang "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" by Meghan Trainor (Feat. John Legend)
- Their drone clue was a witch's hat: "We will tip our hats to whichever one of you figures out the clue."
- Female owl told Ken she's not Bjork or Honey Boo Boo. And the male owl told him that he's not Fabio or on JAG.
- Third performance: Sang "The Prayer" by Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion
- Their loved one's special clue was: "Now panel, ready for a game-changing clue? Two Snow Owls, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g."
Judges' guesses: Amy Grant and Vince Gill, Donny and Marie Osmond, Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara, Rachel McAdams and Will Ferrell, Rob Schneider and Elle King, Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood, Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman, Brad Paisley and Kimberly Williams-Paisley, Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman
UPDATE: Snow Owls took flight on Nov. 11. See which famous couple was under those feathers.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "It’s very fitting that I have so many appendages. After all, I’m known for having a lot of hands to latch onto."
- "Good evening, my fellow Americans. I chose the Squiggly Monster because people always roll their eyes at me, but now I can roll all mine at them," he says in the first clue package
- A salami link and an Emperor penguin are seen next to a sign that says "Super Squiggly World" (major Super Mario vibes here)
- Ken Jeong appears in the package
- Pink balls of yarn, chocolate chip cookies, a man with a large pink bow tie and monocle, a stethoscope, a newsdesk, and a DJ's turntable all appear in the first package
- Says he's a "patchwork of personas, the father figure and the scoundrel, a hyperactive voice of the people, a worry-wart and a maniac"
- "I'm no Dumbo, and ladies, let's be honest, I'm easy on the eyes"
- Political-tinged second package starts off in the Oval Office
- "Despite my unbridled handsomeness, I have to report an inconvenient truth that while I have a colorful exterior, there's more than meets the eyes"
- Says he was bullied for being different and he was struck by several different tragedies
- A corn field, popcorn, an Emperor penguin, a pineapple, a banana, the Snow Owls, a football, crepes, and a baby all show up
- Says he found that "laughter was my best medicine"
- "You may get knocked around, you may slip and fall, you may get hit in your piggly squiggly, but the big picture is, our time on this green Earth is too short not to embrace the silly daily"
- First performance: Sang "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Said of being the Squiggly Monster: "It's just awesome. I just want to make people happy and spread peace and love. And another thing is, this is actually the size of my real head. Huge brain."
- Second performance: Sang "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones
- Squiggly Monster's magical clue was a giant teddy bear. "I'm here to bear it all — yes I said that — and that starts with this very cuddly clue," he said.
- He also brought out a hat for Cannon that's covered in eyes, and he revealed that he is married
Judges' guesses: Ray Romano, Al Franken, Dr. Fauci, Brad Garrett, Ted Danson, David Hasselhoff, Al Gore
UPDATE: Squiggly Monster was unmasked on Nov. 4. See who was under all those arms and eyeballs.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "If you want a hint about me, I own who I am. I know my voice can go high, but my dishes go deep."
- Her first package takes place in a roller skating rink
- Leopard skates, a kangaroo on skates, a disco ball, cheese fries, a giant nose, a No. 12 jersey, a giant ear, and vanilla ice cream with cherries on top appear in the package
- "You may have strong opinions about me, but I always speak my truth"
- Says she has a big mouth and loves making waves
- She's shown at the "West Wing Snack Bar"
- "Isn't that fire?"
- Says she's been "shocking" the public for decades
- She's shown getting electrocuted as she says her fans would never expect her on the show
- First performance: Sang "Native New Yorker" by Odyssey
- Said of choosing the Lips costume: "Why not? They're sexy and when I do get my filler, they're this big before they deflate. Jenny, you know what I'm talking about!"
Judges' guesses: Sandra Bernhard, Wendy Williams, Allison Janney, Mariah Carey
UPDATE: Lips ended her Masked Singer journey on Oct. 28. See who was under those luscious lips.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "All you have to do is look to the stars." (The number 5 is shown in the background)
- First package starts off with a Ferris Bueller's Day Off reference
- "It's time for my rebirth. See, I'd been stuck in second gear for a while" — is that a Friends reference?
- Says back in his heyday, he was in "a theater every week" and was even "beamed onto the Tony Awards stage"
- Then, he became "a second thought, lost in space" and moved on to "other passions"
- A red sports car spaceship, trumpet, horseshoe, homecoming float, the Liberty Bell, a ninja turtle, and red roses all show up in the package
- "Baby Alien training hard to be most special competitor ever. I practice wearing 30-pound backpack at home and do hours of puppet choreography," he says in his (probably) faux accent
- His second clue package features a Baywatch spoof titled "Babywatch"
- There's a horse made of sand, a lifeguard hut, sunscreen, a black and white umbrella, a hotdog stand, sharks swimming through sand, and an orange fire hydrant
- "See, I've been roasted before, under beaming spotlight of big city"
- Says he had "public relationships probed and close encounters with money-hungry sharks"
- He's shown with a crown on his head as he says, "Now, I can help baby-er aliens avoid same sand traps"
- First performance: Sang "Faith" by George Michael
- "I come to planet earth and share hidden talent. [I'm] a big fan of Pussycat Dolls, and also [a] big fan [of] Jenny McCarthy. [I] had your poster on [my] wall as [a] teenager," he says with some kind of Eastern European accent.
- Second performance: Sang "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons
- His childhood clue was a firetruck. "This particular toy is near and dear to my heart. But Joel McHale, you're hot on my trail."
Judges' guesses: Ralph Macchio, David Schwimmer, Freddie Prinze Jr., Eric Bana, Sacha Baron Cohen, Taylor Lautner, Jeff Dunham
UPDATE: Baby Alien blasted off the stage on Oct. 14. See who the show's first puppet costume really is.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "You should know I share something in common with a powerful giant," he says, as a giant giraffe walks down 10th Ave. in New York City.
- Carnival music plays, with lots of carnival references throughout (bumper cars, a Ferris wheel, fireworks)
- He has had a "roller coaster career full of ups and downs"
- Says music is in his blood but he "took a gigantic risk and became the butt of everyone's jokes"
- Lots of portraits of himself are shown
- Green apples and tomatoes are being thrown, like at a comedy show
- Said he "was in knots and felt so lonely" but it drove him to "swing even higher"
- A $3 sign is shown in the background
- “Now I'm in the driver's seat, and I’m off to the races tonight. That’s a wrap!” (or did he mean rap?)
- Says he's having fun on the show, which is something he "really needs in [his] life right now"
- There are still lots of portraits of himself in the second package
- Says he's "survived and thrived in the animal kingdom by seeing the big picture and staying above the drama," as a closeup of season 2's Fox is shown
- Peaches are shown — a possible Georgia reference?
- Says his life recently came crashing down, but he's kept it "mostly secret" and his life was transformed in "the blink of an eye"
- He had a terrible episode that "scrambled" his brain and he couldn't walk or talk, but he came out stronger on the other side
- "Now, I'm at a crossroads, but the one thing that keeps me going is my herd," he says as five giraffes and two birds are shown
- First performance: Sang "Let's Get It Started" by Black Eyed Peas
- When asked if he ever saw himself singing as a giraffe, he said, "Not at all. This has really been fun. It allows me to have a bit of anonymity which is nice, plus it was a big deal for me to not have to focus on my vocals. Plus it's super sexy."
- Second performance: Sang "Get Down on It" by Kool & the Gang
- His drone clue was a domino with two fours on it: "That was a really important tile to me, but does it help you guys score my identity?"
Judges' guesses: Garth Brooks, Travis Barker, Vanilla Ice, Scott Wolf, Shia LaBeouf
UPDATE: Giraffe went home on Oct. 7. See who was under the mask here.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "Check the gremlin manual and you'll see, I can thrive when the temperature is a cool 66.5 degrees."
- His first package is an '80s style dating video titled "Fast and Friendly Dating Service"
- His reference number is 6219
- "Despite my checkered history, I can actually be quite charming, a true romantic"
- "You may have heard I can be a bit combative," he says as he wrestles with a shark with boxing gloves
- He's seen ironing a bright green shirt
- Says he adores animals, and a tiger, boar, pig, and a chinchilla or some kind of rodent are shown
- Loves "long spins on the beach"
- He uses a 41-proof alcohol bottle to hit a guy as he mentions "bashing opponents"
- He is shown chopping carrots as he says he loves to cook and then a fly buzzes around his head
- "I'd love to have you for dinner... I mean have you over for dinner. But first, let's snuggle up as I serenade you"
- First performance: Sang "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King
- "It meant a lot because this song was sung by one of my best friends ever," he said of his song choice. "His name was Willy DeVille. He passed away years ago and I've missed him for a long, long time and I think the other night for some reason Willy sent me down this song."
Judges' guesses: Jerry Lee Lewis, Mickey Rourke, Steve Austin
UPDATE: Gremlin unmasked himself on Sept. 30. See his true identity here.
- Sneak peek episode clue: "If you want a hot clue to finding my identity, just look into stocks and bonds."
- Seen at his "lairz," which has race cars parked out front
- "Sorry, it's a bit humid in here," he says as he breathes smoke out his nose
- "As you can see, dressing up in funky outrageous costumes isn’t new to me," he says as he walks by several portraits of himself in different outfits
- A stopwatch, weights, a dog bone, a spa, the Statue of Liberty, and a lot of trophies are shown
- "At first my fire was dangerous. Then I got a tip that helped me calm down and switch gears. And now, I got me this shiny treasure den."
- First performance: Sang "Mama Said Knock You Out" by LL Cool J
- On becoming the Dragon, he said, "It's been an incredible experience. This whole outfit looking like I am really one of the most powerful and dominant characters in existence."
Judges' guesses: DMX, Michael Phelps, Busta Rhymes
UPDATE: The Dragon retreated to his lair on Sept. 23. See who he turned out to be.
The Masked Singer
Celebs compete in this reality-singing TV show while wearing elaborate costumes to conceal their identities. Can you guess the celebrity behind the mask?