Stranger Things rad season 4 soundtrack isn't stuck in the '80s
- TV Show
The year is 1986: the Space Shuttle Challenger explodes, Ray-Bans are in, and a gallon of gas costs 89 cents. Oh, also, Mike, Eleven, Will, and the whole Hawkins, Ind. crew just fought off the Mind Flayer at the Starcourt Mall.
Stranger Things returns to Netflix with season 4 today, and, no spoilers here, but some mind-boggling adventures and battles are sure to go down — all with a killer soundtrack backing them up.
Stranger Things: Soundtrack From the Netflix Series, Season 4, Volume I boasts a mix of '80s staples (see: "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" and "Pass the Dutchie") and classics from Joyce Byers' childhood (see: "California Dreamin'").
The soundtrack travels back in time as far as 1950 with "Dream a Little Dream of Me" and hints of '60s and '70s tunes throughout – are the Russians holding Hopper captive just massive Ricky Nelson fans? Is Steve going through a bout of musical nostalgia? Or maybe the kids were inspired by their Back to the Future viewing in season 3 to build a time machine. Either way, the soundtrack is transporting us out of the 2020s, and for that we are thankful.
Fans can listen to the digital edition of this soundtrack now, or wait until July 1 for the release of Season 4, Volume II, which will include all the songs on Volume I plus music from the season's upcoming final two supersized episodes. The complete soundtrack album is available for preorder now, on digital, CD, and, most appropriately, cassette.
See the full soundtrack listing below:
1. "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) (Bryce Miller/Alloy Tracks Remix)" - Journey
2. "California Dreamin'" - The Beach Boys
3. "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads
4. "Running Up That Hill" - Kate Bush
5. "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" - Dead or Alive
6. "Chica Mejicanita" - Mae Arnette
7. "Play With Me" - Extreme
8. "Detroit Rock City" - KISS
9. "I Was A Teenage Werewolf" - The Cramps
10. "Pass The Dutchie" - Musical Youth
11. "Wipeout" - The Surfaris
12. "Object Of My Desire" - Starpoint
13. "Rock Me Amadeus (The Gold Mix)" - Falco
14. "Travelin' Man" - Ricky Nelson
15. "Tarzan Boy" - Baltimora
16. "Dream A Little Dream Of Me" - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
For those who have already watched or just love spoilers, check out our full Stranger Things season 4 recap.
Sign up for Entertainment Weekly's free daily newsletter to get breaking TV news, exclusive first looks, recaps, reviews, interviews with your favorite stars, and more.
Netflix’s hit sci-fi series follows a group of kids in the '80s battling supernatural forces in Hawkins, Ind.