Ahead of the final 'House of Cards' season, the actress discusses the departure of the show's former lead actor

By Christian Holub
July 09, 2018 at 09:22 AM EDT

The sixth and final season of House of Cards is set to hit Netflix later this year, but it will be the first to do so without former lead actor Kevin Spacey. Spacey, who had played political mastermind Frank Underwood for five seasons and multiple awards, was fired from the show in November in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against him. Robin Wright’s Claire Underwood will be taking center stage in season 6, and in a new interview with Today, Wright broke her public silence on the Spacey accusations and fallout.

“I think we were all surprised, of course, and ultimately saddened,” Wright told NBC News’ Savannah Guthrie. “We forged ahead, and we were so thankful that we were able to complete the series as planned.”

Actor Anthony Rapp was the first to come forward against Spacey in October, claiming the actor sexually harassed him when Spacey was 26 and Rapp was 14. Spacey apologized to Rapp but said he had no memory of the incident. Since then, multiple other individuals have come forward.

Some of the Spacey accusations came from people who had worked on the House of Cards set, who told CNN that the star created a “toxic” work environment through “predatory” behavior. When Guthrie asked if Wright had seen anything in her years working with Spacey that might have indicated this was a possibility, the actress said she hardly knew Spacey aside from their work.

“I haven’t heard from him and I don’t even know how to reach him,” Wright said. “Kevin and I knew each other between ‘action’ and ‘cut,’ and in between set-ups where we would giggle. I didn’t know the man. I knew the incredible craftsman that he is.”

Watch clips from Wright’s Today appearance below. The full interview will air closer to season 6’s premiere.

Advertisement

Comments

EDIT POST