Bryan Fuller boards Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles TV series
Bryan Fuller is trading gods for vampires.
Rice’s son (and fellow author) Christopher Rice announced the news in a Facebook post Thursday. “It’s our great pleasure to officially announce that Bryan has become a member of the creative family working to bring the story of the vampire Lestat to television,” he wrote, after sharing a story describing Fuller’s lifelong interest in Rice’s vampire novels.
As Fuller recounted three years ago on Christopher Rice’s Dinner Party Show podcast, he dreamed of adapting Anne Rice’s Interview With the Vampire as a feature film when he was just a teenager. At the age of 13, Fuller located Rice’s number in the phone book and called her to share his intentions, and she surprisingly answered the phone and directed the young Fuller to the Hollywood producer who owned the rights. Fuller was, of course, told he was too young to take on the project, but now all these years later, he will be a part of adapting Rice’s tale of Lestat for television.
The Vampire Chronicles project is underway with Paramount Television and Anonymous Content as a series chronicling the journey of the vampire Lestat. In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter published Thursday, Paramount TV chief Amy Powell said Fuller is being eyed as a potential showrunner.
Interview With the Vampire was previously adapted into a feature film in 1994 starring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, and Rice’s The Queen of the Damned was also brought to the big screen in 2002, with the late R&B singer Aaliyah in the title role.
Fuller’s team did not immediately respond to request for comment, but The Vampire Chronicles Facebook page promises more information will be released shortly.