17 times Outlander episode 'Uncharted' made us say 'We're not in Scotland anymore'
Remember when Outlander was all moors, glens, and lochs?
Aye, a change in the location is nothing new on the Starz drama; We’ve traversed centuries and continents keeping up with the Frasers and season 3, episode 11 was no exception. On this week’s installment, Claire (Caitriona Balfe) found herself washed up on a sparsely-populated island initially alone but for some terrifying bugs and creatures. By the time Jamie (Sam Heughan) and crew conveniently ended up on the same stretch of sand, Claire had truly been put through the wringer. Once more, our Sassenach proved she’s one heck of a survivor as she battled a bunch of circumstances one would never happen upon in Scotland including blistering heat, snakes, and weird goat rituals.
Here are 17 moments where we stopped and said “We’re not in Scotland anymore!” from this week’s episode — in GIF form, of course.
1. When a wave in the ocean was Claire’s alarm clock.
2. And then she washed up on shore here.
3. Here’s that beach again. Highlands? What Highlands?
4. When Claire had to build a shelter from that burning thing in the sky (the sun?) that doesn’t exist in Scotland.*
5. When she woke up covered in exotic wee beasties (ants).
6. When the sunset looked like this and we forgot for a moment how dire the situation was.
7. But then Claire woke up with a freaking SNAKE slithering over her! (I said we forgot for a moment.)
8. When she woke up the next time and was tied to a bed (and not by Jamie for any kind of good reason).
9. When Claire had been taken in by a man who talks to (and takes guidance from) a coconut named Coco.
10. When Father Fogden cared so much about his goat Arabella that he mourned her death with some weird ritual with huge bugs.
11. When Jamie and co. were shipwrecked and their workday looked like this.
12. When Jamie spotted Claire on the beach.
13. And then ran along the beach looking like this to get to her.
14. When Jamie and Claire’s reunion had this backdrop.
15. When there was a beach wedding — complete with tiki lanterns and everything.
16. When Claire was really enjoying Mr. Willoughby’s turtle soup (laden with sherry).
17. When Jamie and Claire started getting intimate in an inappropriate place…Oh, wait, that’s every occasion, regardless of location.
Outlander airs Sundays at 8 p.m. ET on Starz.
*Editor’s note: Writer is Scottish and can, therefore, make fun of the country’s climate. You cannot.
Diana Gabaldon's genre-bending time-travel novels come to life in the Starz series.