Netflix cancels Louis C.K. stand-up special, but will keep his old ones
Netflix has decided how they’re going to respond to the sexual misconduct allegations against acclaimed comic Louis C.K., who has multiple stand-up specials on the streaming service.
First, Netflix has canceled its plan to produce an upcoming previously announced show with the comic. “The allegations made by several women in The New York Times about Louis C.K.’s behavior are disturbing,” says a Netflix spokesperson. “Louis’s unprofessional and inappropriate behavior with female colleagues has led us to decide not to produce a second stand up special, as had been planned.”
But Louis C.K.’s most recent Netflix special, titled 2017, will remain on the service — along with older titles Hilarious, Live at the Comedy Store, Live at the Beacon Theater, and Chewed Up.
That move stands in contrast to rival HBO, which announced Thursday it was removing Louis C.K.’s previous work from its On Demand service.
According to Forbes, Louis C.K. is one of the world’s highest-paid comedians. He has earned an estimated $52 million in revenue over the last year and more than 50 percent of that is from a deal for two Netflix specials — 2017 and the one that has now been canceled.
In Thursday’s New York Times, five women from the comedy world accused Louis C.K. of sexual misconduct over the years — namely, masturbating or requesting to masturbate in front of them without their consent.
Since then, HBO announced Louis C.K. will no longer be participating in this month’s Night of Too Many Stars: America Unites for Autism special and is removing Louis C.K.’s past projects from its services.
Meanwhile, FX — a network that has deep ties with the comedian via titles such as Louie, Baskets and Better Things — has said “we are obviously very troubled by the allegations” and “the matter is currently under review.”
On Friday, plans to distribute the comedian’s new film, I Love You, Daddy, were scrapped.
As for the man himself, Louis C.K.’s publicist told EW on Thursday that the comedian will issue a written statement concerning the allegations “in the coming days.”
More to come…