Alyssa Milano explains why she waited to comment on Harvey Weinstein
Alyssa Milano has broken her silence on the Harvey Weinstein scandal.
In an emotional statement published on her website Thursday, the Charmed actress said she was “sickened and angered over the disturbing accusations of Weinstein’s sexual predation and abuse of power” and explained that she waited to make a statement about controversy out of respect for her friendship with the fallen Hollywood producer’s wife, Georgina Chapman, who recently announced she was leaving Weinstein.
“Even with these strong feelings — not just about Weinstein but about workplace sexism in general — this statement is complicated for me for personal reasons. Harvey has a wife, who I have had the privilege of working with for the last 5 years on Project Runway All Stars,” wrote Milano. “Georgina Chapman is my friend. She is one of the most special humans I have ever met. Harvey and Georgina also have two very young children who my children have known their entire lives. It is because of my love for Georgina, India and Dashiell that I haven’t publicly commented on this until now. Please don’t confuse my silence for anything other than respect for a dear friend and her beautiful children.”
Milano also used her platform to express her support of victims and to make a point that sexual harassment and abuses of power aren’t exclusive to Hollywood. “I can tell you what it means to be a woman in our society. In any — and every — profession, women are continuously mistreated. This is not an uncommon occurrence. This is a sick culture. Men like Harvey Weinstein are around every corner. Men who undermine women and their strength, ability and intelligence exist everywhere. Statistics say that 1 in 3 women are sexually harassed in the workplace. Really think about that. Really allow that statistic to become a part of you. Also, while you process it, think about the gender inequality women – particularly women of color – face in salary and opportunity. Actually, f–k the statistics, just do better, world,” she wrote.
Read her entire statement, here.
Last week, the New York Times published an exposé that chronicled “decades” of sexual harassment allegations against Weinstein, including an incident involving Milano’s Charmed costar Rose McGowan. In a statement released to the Times, Weinstein said, “I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it. Though I’m trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go.” In the wake of this report, many actresses have come forward accusing the producer of sexual misconduct, including Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, and Heather Graham.
In a New Yorker piece released Tuesday, three actresses alleged that Weinstein sexually assaulted them. The Tulip Fever producer “unequivocally denied” these allegations in a statement released to the New Yorker by a representative. “Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances. Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual. Mr. Weinstein has begun counseling, has listened to the community and is pursuing a better path. Mr. Weinstein is hoping that, if he makes enough progress, he will be given a second chance.”