Bachelor in Paradise will air footage of Corinne Olympios and DeMario Jackson
After Bachelor in Paradise halted production on its fourth season to investigate allegations of misconduct regarding an alleged sexual encounter between Corinne Olympios and DeMario Jackson, many thought the season was over. But when the investigation found no misconduct, production resumed, and when it does air, we already know that the season will address the shutdown. As for how they’re going to do that, executive producer Chris Harrison talked to EW.
“It’s going to be literally dealt with the moment we come on the air,” Harrison says of the stop in production. “We’ll start talking about it right away and start dealing with it. If you don’t, it’s the elephant in the room and then it will taint the entire season. So we want to show everybody and then get on with Paradise because there are some wonderful things that are going to be happening.”
When he says “show everybody,” he means it. Although the show will not air the moment that launched the controversy, it will use footage from before the shutdown, and that footage will include Olympios and Jackson. “There’s been a lot written and assumed and said about what we’re going to do and what we’re not going to do. We had already shot for three days [before the shutdown] and a lot had actually happened — a lot of people had arrived, there had been dates, we’d gotten to the point where there was about to be our first rose ceremony — so we had a week’s worth of stuff [that] we didn’t want to just throw that away because that’s what impacted the show and it’s what led to the shutdown,” Harrison says. “We thought you needed to see that. So you’re going to see a lot of it, including Corinne and DeMario on the show. When we restart, it will be me back in Mexico walking you through what happened and then we’re going to watch what happened. And then we’ll cut back to me and I’ll kind of shed some more light on things and then we’re going to go back and you’re going to see more of what happened, [and] not just the controversial. You’re going to see a lot of things, people falling in love, a lot of dates happening.”
Further explaining the atmosphere of the show before production stopped, Harrison says there was a bit of a disconnect and that despite the controversy, there were a lot of good relationships forming as well. “I think people have this preconceived notion of what it was like and what was going on and really the only way to prove anything or show you anything is to all watch it and you can judge for yourself. So that will involve seeing Corinne and DeMario and it will also involve Carly and Evan’s wedding.”
Although Harrison hasn’t seen any finalized cuts, he says, “To the best of my knowledge, you’re going to see more than enough to show you what was happening that led up to the shutdown, within certain taste and values of what we can show on network TV.”
Bachelor in Paradise premieres Monday, August 14 at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.
The Bachelor goes international with a cast of former bachelors and bachelorettes looking for love… and a chance to extend their reality fame.