Here are 12 of the best quotes from the Doctor Who season 10 finale
Then vote on your favorite!
Spoiler Alert! This post features quotes from the Doctor Who finale. So transport yourself to another time and space and come back once you have watched it.
Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat promised a roller coaster of a final episode, and boy did he deliver. His — and star Peter Capaldi’s — final season saw him deliver an hour and a half of solid writing that showcased not only how good a writer Moffat can be, but also the cast’s great delivery throughout the entire episode.
This last episode for both of them (“The Doctor Falls”) saw the Doctor face off against the Cybermen for one last time in this incarnation, while Bill worked through her new status as a Cyberman, Nardole got proactive, and Missy and the Master created and enacted their own plan to deal with the impending invasion.
Below are the best lines from “The Doctor Falls,” ranked based on impact and delivery:
12. “Doctors are not required.” — Cyberman
One of the Cyber-based villains of the episode utters this phrase when the Doctor reveals his identity.
11. “Like sewage, smartphones, and Donald Trump, some things are just inevitable.” — The Doctor
In keeping with the rest of this season, the Doctor gets a little topical as he refutes that the Master had anything to do with the creation of the Cybermen, instead accrediting that development to parallel evolution on various planets.
10. “Ten years up there, chatting. You missed her by two hours.” — The Master
Simm’s character taunts the Doctor about his inability to prevent his companion Bill from being turned into a Cyberman.
9. “The ultimate apple upgrade.” — Nardole
The alien-human-hybrid companion comments on his turning the titular fruit into a grenade.
8. The Master: “Is the future going to be all girl?” / The Doctor:”We can only hope.”
The Master reacts to not only his future self becoming a woman, but also the Doctor and Missy referring to Bill as “her” instead of just treating her like the Cyberman she’s been converted into.
7. “It’s time to stand with the Doctor.” — Missy
The latest incarnation of the Master decides she wants to stand with the Doctor as they face off against the incoming Cybermen.
6. “You’re wrong, you know. I’ll never be able to find the words.” —Nardole
The companion responds to Bill’s statement that he will find the words to say goodbye.
5. “It’s a big universe. But I hope I see you again.” —Bill
The latest human companion bids the Doctor goodbye before she sets off with Heather.
4. “No stars… I hoped there’d be stars.” —The Doctor
Capaldi’s Time Lord as he lies there dying after being shot a few times by a Cyberman.
3. “Where there’s tears, there’s hope.” —The Doctor and Bill
First uttered by the Doctor as a sign of the fact that Bill might be able to become human again, later said by Bill as one of her tears hits the dead Doctor.
2. “You may be a Doctor. But I am the Doctor. The original, you might say.” — The First Doctor (David Bradley)
The First Doctor greets his older self.
1. “I’m not trying to win. I’m not doing this because I want to beat someone, because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It’s not because it’s fun. God knows it’s not because it’s easy. It’s not even because it works because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind. If I run away today, good people will die. If I stand and fight, some of them might live. Maybe not many, maybe not for long. Hey, you know, maybe there’s no point to any of this at all. But it’s the best I can do. So I’m going to do it. And I’m going to stand here doing it until it kills me. And you’re going to die too! Some day… And how will that be? Have you thought about it? What would you die for? Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall.” — The Doctor
The Doctor’s speech when Missy and the Master tell him he can’t win against the Cybermen.