Ewan McGregor addresses Obi-Wan Star Wars movie — again
Ewan McGregor can’t seem to sit down for an interview without being asked about a potential return of his Star Wars character, Obi-Wan Kenobi.
He faced the question again on Jimmy Kimmel Live Thursday night. “I’ve been asked this question so many times, and I answer the questions when I’m asked them because I’ve been brought up like that, polite,” the actor told Kimmel. “And it’s gotten to the point where it looks like I’m touting for work at Disney’s front door. Like, ‘Give me the Obi-Wan spinoff,’ you know.”
Still, his stance on wanting to do the movie is the same: “Of course, I’d be happy to do it,” McGregor said.
RELATED: See All of EW’s Star Wars Covers
Since the union of Lucasfilm and Disney, coupled by the development of standalone anthology films, like Rogue One and the Han Solo prequel, fans have expressed interest in seeing more of Obi-Wan’s story.
To give you some idea as to how many times McGregor has been asked about his own standalone, he pitched an idea for a possible Obi-Wan spinoff to MTV in 2013 about his character in the time between the prequel trilogy and Star Wars: A New Hope. Two years later at the Edinburgh Film Festival, he confirmed, “I’d be happy to do the story from episodes three where I finish up and Alec Guinness starts.”
Then, earlier this year, McGregor told EW, “There’s no official offer, and I haven’t met them about it or anything. But I’ve always said that I’d be happy to do it if they wanted to do it. It would be a good segue between the last episode of the prequels and the new episodes. I think they’ve got films to make until the 2020s, so I don’t think it’s going to happen soon if it happens at all.”
In summation, yes, McGregor is on board to pick up a lightsaber again, but we’ll have to wait to see if Lucasfilm and Disney are on the same page. Watch his latest comments in the clip above.