According to Kellyanne Conway, nothing has changed for President-elect Donald Trump with regard to funding the construction of a wall between the U.S. and Mexico border.
“What we understand is nothing has changed from our perspective,” Conway said in an interview Friday on CBS This Morning. “Congress is taking it on themselves to explore different options to pay for the wall. But from our perspective nothing has changed. Obviously, we respect federalism. And if Congress is trying to find different ways to fund this project that is a top priority to President Trump then they should do that.”
On Thursday, CNN reported Trump’s administration had told Republican leaders in Congress that the president-elect wanted to fund the wall with taxpayer money. That would go against one of Trump’s key campaign promises, as he often claimed Mexico would pay for the wall itself. Following the report, Trump posted on Twitter, “The dishonest media does not report that any money spent on building the Great Wall (for sake of speed), will be paid back by Mexico later!” (Last year, after meeting with Trump, Mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto wrote, “At the start of the conversation with Donald Trump, I made it clear that Mexico will not pay for the wall.”)
Speaking to CNN on Friday, Conway reiterated the administration’s position. “The president-elect has made very clear two things: he’s going to build the wall and Mexico is going to pay for it. Congress, because that’s where things are paid for, Congress, I guess, is investigating the possibility of paying for it to make it more speedy, and then having Mexico pay for it after the fact,” she said. But that’s what Congress is doing. Mr. Trump has always been very clear nothing has changed: he’s building the wall, Mexico will pay for it. He ran on that, you can take that promise and he will keep that promise. He’s already discussing ways to get it done.”
Watch Conway during her CBS segment below.