Few headlines get across exactly what you need to know about a story, but consider this one of them: Cynthia Erivo, the new goddess of Broadway and American audiences with ears, has a new song for you.
The break-out Color Purple Tony winner is one of a dozen stage stars lending their talents to fellow Tony victor Billy Porter’s fourth studio album, Billy Porter Presents The Soul of Richard Rodgers, which reimagines classic Broadway songs with a contemporary kick. The album, out April 14, unites Porter with everyone from Pentatonix to Patina Miller (an alliteration pairing I have been dying to write since 2011).
EW has an exclusive first listen to one such track: Erivo and Porter’s take on “My Funny Valentine,” the jazz standard made famous in Rodgers and Hart’s Babes in Arms. Listen here:
Beyond the enticement of Erivo, the rest of Porter’s album (his first as producer and curator) offers just as much reinvention for fans of new and old stages alike. The proof is in the tracklist:
1. Oh, What a Beautiful Morning (Pentatonix & Billy Porter)
2. My Romance (Leslie Odom Jr.)
3. If I Loved You (Renée Elise Goldsberry & Christopher Jackson)
4. With a Song in My Heart (Brandon Victor Dixon & Joshua Henry)
5. I Have Dreamed (Patina Miller)
6. My Funny Valentine (Cynthia Erivo)
7. I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair (Todrick Hall & Billy Porter)
8. This Nearly was Mine (Deborah Cox)
9. Bewitched (Ledisi featuring Zaire Park)
10. Carefully Taught (India.Arie & Billy Porter)
11. Lady is a Tramp (Billy Porter featuring Zaire Park)
12. Edelweiss (Billy Porter)
Porter began a national tour in March and will continue touring the album around the country through August.