The Voice recap: Live Top 10 Eliminations
No matter how many times we’ve gone through this (and we’re now 10 seasons in, so it’s been a lot), it really never gets any easier to say goodbye to someone on The Voice. This week, another contestant is being sent home — moment to gulp back many sobs, please — so we’re officially about to reach single-digit contender status and things are getting very intense.
The votes (and iTunes song sales) have been tabulated, and eight of the hopefuls are painstakingly saved one by one from the bottom-two chopping block, including, in order of the show’s reveal of each:
1. Alisan Porter (Team Christina)
2. Adam Wakefield (Team Blake)
3. Shalyah Fearing (Team Adam)
4. Hannah Huston (Team Pharrell)
5. Mary Sarah (Team Blake)
6. Bryan Bautista (Team Christina)
7. Laith Al-Saadi (Team Adam)
8. Paxton Ingram (Team Blake)
Which means the apparent season 10 sweetheart, Nick Hagelin, did not get voted through right off the rip — major SHOCKER — and Daniel Passino (more predictably) hadn’t done enough during yesterday’s performance to change voters’ minds about him after he was also among the lowest-voted pair last week but squeaked by during the instant save against Owen Danoff.
Host Carson Daly, doing his usual round of elimination-round interviews, asks Daniel what he’s learned from his time on the show, and on Team Pharrell specifically, and we learn that even though Daniel made the grave error of reading Internet comments about himself over the weekend (a no-no to end all no-nos, especially on a show like this) he’s ultimately learned that shrouding himself with positivity is the way to be.
“This competition has taught me to surround myself with good people,” Daniel says with his trademark sunny smile. “I think that’s what Pharrell has tried to drill into me… Whatever happens is what’s meant to happen.”
NEXT: Nick Hagelin takes a stand…
Indeed, Pharrell echos the same sentiment in his own coaching Q&A moment by saying, “Oftentimes when we’re right there in the seat, we want things to happen when we want them to, and sometimes you’re selling yourself short… My thing is always if you’re doing what you’re supposed to be doing and where you’re supposed to be, you won’t get left. That’s just life.”
All of this sounds like a bittersweet send-off note coming from both sides, while for Nick Hagelin — who showed some remarkable improvement during his Top 10 performance on Monday — the message is exactly the opposite. He’s all about growth of the past, present and future varieties right now. Goodbye, it seems, is not an option for him right now.
“Before I got brought back, I thought of this as a competition, and since I came back, I realize this is development,” says Nick, a comment which inspires even Adam Levine to rally behind him for the Team Christina save vote.
And while Nick’s save-me performance of Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud” is a karaoke-ish rendition that leaves a lot to be desired, Daniel’s take on Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars’ “Uptown Funk” is unfortunately way too mechanical and disjointed to showcase anything new or special about himself. Probably not the best song choice on his part, and ultimately the Twitter voters decide on Nick Hagelin sticking around to see another week.
WANT MORE? Keep up with all the latest from last night’s television by subscribing to our newsletter. Head here for more details.
PREDICTIONS FOR NEXT WEEK:
- Nick Hagelin will either make or break himself with next Monday’s performance. Clearly, voters are getting more discerning about his talent than his personality plusses, so he’s going to have to refine his skill set even more (or perhaps find himself in another bottom two situation).
- Alisan Porter took a break from the booming ballad style this week, but chances are she’ll return to form with strong song again next week.
- Shalyah Fearing’s going to sing Mary J. Blige’s “No More Drama” because Adam said so (RIGHT?!).
- Mary Sarah will stick to her ultra-Southern roots again next week, hopefully turning to Patsy Cline next for some pseudo-mainstream appeal that still appeases her fans.
- Pharrell’s cap of the week will be yellow next week.
- Team Pharrell: Hannah Huston
- Team Blake: Paxton Ingram, Mary Sarah, and Adam Wakefield
- Team Christina: Bryan Bautista, Alisan Porter, and Nick Hagelin
- Team Adam: Shalyah Fearing and Laith Al-Saadi
A rotating chair-full of judges search for the next great superstar singer on this NBC reality show.