Dancing with the Stars recap: How Much Longer Would You Be Mine?
The right couple heads home on Motown Week; Boyz II Men, Natasha Bedingfield, and Shaping Sound perform
Well, she’s leavin’ (leavin’) on that Midnight Train out of Mirrorballus. Empress of soul Gladys Knight and her partner Tristan MacManus were eliminated on Motown Week. “What better way than for Gladys to open the show [Monday night] and then end it as well?” wondered Tristan before the couple dueled against fellow bottom-two dwellers Roshon Fegan and Chelsie Hightower. He was so right! A leprechaun always knows best.
What a lovely couple they were this season — not the best dancers by any stretch, but I feel like they’d win “Best Spirit” in the season 14 high school yearbook. They enjoyed each other so much and never even entertained the idea of getting stressed out. “I’ll probably miss Gladys as much as I miss Ireland while I’m here,” said Tristan. “And I really, really miss Ireland.” Awww. (I’ll probably miss this couple as much as I’ll miss talking to Tristan on Monday nights. Tristan is my Ireland!)
Gladys Knight really was perfect for this show. After all, isn’t “goin’ back to find a simpler place in time” what Dancing With the Stars is really all about? Ohhhhhh yes it is. That and gems.
Both bottom two couples danced valiantly in the Dance Duel — especially impressive considering the jive was new for both Gladys and Roshon. I’d say Roshon’s jive was all about energy while Gladys’ was all about character. It’s actually cool to see that the couples can learn a routine in just a few hours. As a human, I still don’t think it’s necessary to torture them like this, but as a viewer, I’m enjoying the drama. Ha. They’re on TV! They’re not real people.
Seriously, I could watch a whole segment of Tristan and Roshon just KILLING TIME before tonight’s duel with their slow-motion thumbs up, thumbs sideways, thumbs down and accompanying “What are we even doing?!” scrunch-faces. You may want to give this another watch if you’re feeling trippy. It was almost as exciting as the duel itself.
NEXT: The Top 7 (seh-vehhhhhn!) moments of the results show
Annie’s Top 7 (Seh-vehhhhn!) Results Show Moments for Tuesday, April 24, 2012
7. Melissa referring to this whole Dance TV experience as a “brain drain”
6. Katherine Jenkins calling Mark Ballas a drama queen, because duh!
5. Gladys’ carefree exuberance for the cameras outside the set Monday night: “People have kept me on the show for this long, so you never know! Ha ha!” She’s just always having a blast.
4. Bruno respecting the gravity of the Dance Duel situation by referring to his deciding vote as “Sophie’s Choice”
3. Seeing So You Think You Can Dance alum AdeChike Torbert accompany little ballerina Michaela DePrince. And as if I hadn’t choked up enough during her life story, Michaela made me tear up again when she gushed to the delectably orange-gowned Natasha Bedingfield, “I love your music! Thank you for letting me dance to it!”
2. Dmitry’s blink-and-you’d-miss-it KNEE SPIN after Boyz II Men’s “One More Dance.” He wanted another one (and who wouldn’t with the gorgeous Anna Tre-BUN-skaya?)!
1. More SYTYCD love: The Shaping Sound Dance Company’s cloudy dreamscape of a contemporary routine was so heavenly! I like that Travis Wall, Nick Lazzarini, Melanie Moore, Jaimie Goodwin, Ryan Ramirez, Allison Holker, and more who I’m sure I’m missing are becoming household names. Good for them for creating their own company.
Travis Wall is sooooooo Cooper Nielson in Center Stage right now.
Did Maks telling Melissa “You have Smokey Robinson singing for you as a background; YOU are the show” remind anyone else of last season’s “This is MY show”? Is Melissa Gilbert really the one paying Tom Bergeron’s salary??? EW.com investigates!
Gladys after the show: ‘We are not naive…we know the game’
Did the right couple go home this week?
Kiss-stealer Maks and Tristan the Temptation urge you to appraise the Hidden Gems of Week 6!
Ask Annie anything about ‘Dancing With the Stars’ (or whatever) in the video player below. To see her answers to previous questions, click on the text links below the picture. This is *not* liiiiiiive!
Dancing With the Stars