MTV’s Awkward lives up to its name — and each week, EW will chronicle the comedy-drama’s most uncomfortable moments. This time, we’re looking at season 5, episode 14, also known as “WTF Happened Last Year?,” where Jenna finally explains where everything went wrong with Matty. Here are the five most awkward moments from this episode of Awkward in chronological order.
1. Right after Luke and Jenna have sex, she opens up her computer and is immediately greeted by a photo of her and Matty floating around on the screen. Bad timing, anyone? But also, let’s be real: This is one of the less awkward outcomes of having sex on the couch at their shared workplace. Plus, it gives Jenna a chance to finally regale Luke — and, more importantly, us — the tale of her breakup with Matty.
2. First up in these flashbacks: Jenna thinks Matty is video-chatting her, so she opens up her shirt to give him a special greeting. It’s not Matty though; it’s T. Always check the caller ID, kids.
3. Getting serenaded by a waitstaff is uncomfortable enough, but it gets an extra dose of awkward when Lissa and her mom are dining at a Mexican restaurant: The servers emerge singing “Happy Birthday” in Spanish with none other than Jake Rosati as the leader. Their accidental run-in ends up reuniting the two though for what looks to be a year of fun and school-free times, so it does have silver lining. (Although Lissa does get Jake fired minutes later when she reveals to his boss that he’s smoking a joint outside. Classic Lissa.)
4. Jenna has a magical idea of how Matty’s visit at her new school will go, but it doesn’t go exactly as planned, mostly because Matty is basically allergic to her intellectual friends. All they want to talk about is how Kanye West should be the new poet laureate, while Matty would much prefer to talk about how hot Kim Kardashian is. They continue to clash until Matty finally gives up, telling Jenna that her friends are boring… right in front of all them.
WANT MORE? Keep up with all the latest from last night’s television by subscribing to our newsletter. Head here for more details.
5. The morning after the party-gone-wrong (and the resulting fight between Matty and Jenna), Matty decides he’s going to transfer schools to be closer to Jenna. He sees this as a romantic gesture and a solution; she panics because she realizes that Matty’s doing it just because he wants to run away from his problems in Berkeley, where his soccer career isn’t flourishing the way he thought it would — and also because she loves her life at Wyckoff and feels (probably accurately) that Matty wouldn’t fit into it. So this is how the saga of Matty and Jenna ends, with him grabbing his stuff and storming out and Jenna left crying on her extra-large twin-sized bed. At least she has Albert Camus to keep her company.
Awkward airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET on MTV.