Awkward recap: I'm the Kind of Person Who Found Her Voice in College
Jenna returns home after a year away only to find that everyone has changed
MTV’s Awkward lives up to its name — and each week, EW will chronicle the comedy-drama’s most uncomfortable moments. This time, we’re looking at the season 5 midseason premiere, also known as “I’m the Kind of Person Who Found Her Voice in College,” where Jenna returns home after a year away at college to discover that everyone has changed. Here are the five most awkward moments from this episode of Awkward in chronological order.
1. Jenna kicks off her return home for the summer by having a Sixteen Candles moment: Her parents forgot she was arriving because they were too busy with their own lives, and baby Morgan greets her older sister by wailing. “She’s just not used to you,” Lacey says in a failed attempt to comfort her snubbed daughter.
2. Although home wasn’t as welcoming as Jenna had hoped, she has a better experience at her new job … that is, until her ex-boyfriend Luke shows up and reveals that he’s also a fellow at the same place for the summer. Later, he tells her that he saw her application for the gig and pushed it to the top of the pile — something that reminds a newly confident Jenna what a little insecurity feels like. (They later make out on a couch in the office though, so their shared workplace isn’t uncomfortable for too long.)
3. “Who’s the sloppy rando?” Jenna asks T once they arrive to a house party. That sloppy rando, Matty — who Jenna broke up with for unspecified reasons — explains, is his girlfriend. Lesson learned: Be careful who you dub a “sloppy rando.”
4. Sadie has a similar experience when she shows up to Sergio’s taco truck and calls his mom a whore thinking she’s his new girlfriend. As if that’s not bad enough, Sergio’s actual girlfriend comes out moments later, effectively ruining Sadie’s romantic ideas of how her reunion with her former beau would go.
5. Jenna’s name-calling wasn’t the worst of her interaction with Matty: Later, his girlfriend accidentally (maybe?) hits Jenna in the head with a ping pong ball and Jenna uses that opportunity to chat a bit with Matty. This “chat” quickly turns into even more name-calling, and ends with Matty criticizing Jenna’s “stupid thing stuck in your nose.” It’s called a nose ring, Matty. Geez.
Welcome back, Awkward. What did you guys think of the midseason premiere?