Are you 10 years ago? Because The Con‘s release was — and so a number of artists are paying tribute to the Tegan and Sara record with an album of covers set to drop Oct. 20.
Titled The Con X: Covers, the collection will feature covers by Ryan Adams, Paramore frontwoman Hayley Williams, Bleachers, Sara Bareilles, CHVRCHES, Cyndi Lauper, and more. All net album proceeds will go to the Tegan and Sara Foundation, which “fights for health, economic justice, and representation for LGBTQ girls and women.”
“We wanted the proceeds to go to our recently launched Tegan and Sara Foundation, which raises money for self-identified women and girls in the LGBTQ community,” Tegan said in a statement. “With that intention set, we asked 14 artists who were either outspoken allies of the LGTBQ community or LGBTQ themselves to each cover a song from The Con, in any fashion they saw fit. All the artists agreed to donate their time and energy to the project and their labels all agreed to waive their fees as well. We are beyond grateful for the contributions of each artist, and we hope fans of The Con will be moved by their interpretations.”
The Con was Tegan and Sara’s fifth album and featured singles “Back in Your Head” and “The Con.” It was their first to chart on the Billboard 200 when it peaked at No. 34. Since then, they’ve peaked at No. 3 on the chart with 2013’s Heartthrob.
Along with the covers album, the Canadian duo will also be celebrating The Con‘s anniversary with an accompanying tour that will see the sisters playing all 14 songs “in a more intimate and stripped-down arrangement.” The run of dates kicks off Oct. 20 in San Diego; find tickets here.
The Con X: Covers will be available for pre-order beginning Sept. 19 on Tegan and Sara’s online store, while the album itself arrives Oct. 20, with the vinyl edition dropping Dec. 22. Those who pre-order will receive four bonus digital tracks, including a cover of “Back in Your Head” by Cyndi Lauper. See the tracklist below.
1. Ruth B. – “I Was Married”
2. MUNA – “Relief Next to Me”
3. Shura – “The Con”
4. Mykki Blanco – “Knife Going In”
5. PVRIS – “Are You Ten Years Ago”
6. Ryan Adams – “Back in Your Head”
7. City and Colour – “Hop a Plane”
8. Kelly Lee Owens – “Soil, Soil”
9. Bleachers – “Burn Your Life Down”
10. Hayley Williams of Paramore – “Nineteen”
11. Sara Bareilles – “Floorplan”
12. Shamir – “Like O, Like H”
13. Trashique (GRIMES X HANA) – “Dark Come Soon”
14. CHVRCHES – “Call It Off”
Digital Bonus Tracks
15. Cyndi Lauper – “Back in Your Head” (Bonus Track)
16. Bleached – “One Second” (Bonus Track)
17. Vivek Shraya – “I Take All the Blame” (Bonus Track)
18. Tegan and Sara – “Miami Still” (Bonus Track Demo)