The Munsters make a very colorful return in teaser trailer for Rob Zombie's movie
The Munsters (2022 movie)
Horror-loving director Rob Zombie (House of 1000 Corpses, 2007's Halloween) swears that his new movie The Munsters – a big screen version of the beloved '60s sitcom about a family of monsters – is more family-friendly than his previous films.
"Yeah, it's 100 percent in the spirit of the show," the writer-director tells EW. "I didn't want it to be different. I wanted to totally retain the vibe that it had in the '60s."
EW is exclusively revealing the teaser trailer (above) for the movie, which does star some actors whose faces will be familiar to longtime Zombie fans with Jeff Daniel Phillips playing Herman Munster, the director's wife Sheri Moon Zombie portraying Lily Munster, and Daniel Roebuck cast as Grandpa.
"I wanted to cast people that had worked together a lot," says Zombie, who shot the film in Hungary. "I couldn't risk getting on set in Budapest and going, my leads aren't getting along, they have no chemistry. So that's why I chose the cast I chose. Jeff Daniel Phillips and Sheri Moon Zombie and Daniel Roebuck, they work together a lot and I knew they would just fall right into it."
"We've been friends with Cassandra for I don't even know how long," says Zombie. "She was at our wedding, she was at Sheri's shower. We've been friends with her for at least 25 years. So that was another good person that could come in and fit right in, totally familiar."
Zombie's film is different from the original show in one important way: his Munsters is in color!
"I knew that if I went in and demanded 'This movie's going to be in black and white or forget it!' we would not be talking about the Munsters right now, because it would have never happened. I guaran-f---ing-tee it," says the director. "But what I did do is I made the colors sort of hyper-real. I noticed when the actors were in their makeup and they were just walking around, getting lunch or whatever, they looked like cartoon characters come to life. They were just so insanely colorful. I was like, I have to light the movie in the same fashion. It really seemed at all times like a live action cartoon, which was really exciting."
The Munsters will be released this fall by Universal 1440 Entertainment, a production arm of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group.
Exclusively watch the teaser trailer for the new Munsters above.
Want more movie news? Sign up for Entertainment Weekly's free newsletter to get the latest trailers, celebrity interviews, film reviews, and more.
- Rob Zombie is disinterring horror host character Zombo for his Munsters movie
- Here's your first look at the Munsters movie reboot stars
- Rob Zombie on colonizing Mars, octopi, and bonding with Alice Cooper
- Rob Zombie reveals 'complete chaos' behind creation of Devil's Reject's sequel 3 From Hell
- Rob Zombie reveals 3 From Hell plan
The classic sitcom family hits the big screen in Rob Zombie's colorful adaptation.
- See the first bonkers costumes and celebrity guests for The Masked Singer season 8
- RuPaul's Drag Race winners unite to spill secrets on season 14's best moments: 'Lizzo was speechless'
- Camila Cabello wastes no time sparring with Blake Shelton as new coach in The Voice first look
- Watch Hacks stars Jean Smart, Hannah Einbinder & Co. perform a live script read of the season 2 finale