Our favorite Christmas couples
It’s the most romantic time of the year! As you nestle all snug on your couch and watch movies that everyone’s talking about, you’ll fall in love all over again with the greatest pairings that holiday films have ever given us. But which adorable duo is the all-time greatest? See who sits at the top of the tree in our countdown of 15 legendary Christmas couples, ahead.
15. Harry & Karen (Alan Rickman & Emma Thompson), Love Actually
Harry and Karen seemed to have it all, but somehow it wasn’t enough for him, and now life will always be a little bit worse.
14. Brad & Kate (Vince Vaughn & Reese Witherspoon), Four Christmases
It’s not a great sign when the main thing holding a couple together is a shared refusal to acknowledge their families or otherwise confront reality.
13. Buddy & Jovie (Will Ferrell & Zooey Deschanel), Elf
I’m sorry, but I refuse to believe that Buddy has the life experience or emotional maturity to be in a functional relationship.
12. Miles & Iris (Jack Black & Kate Winslet), The Holiday
Miles and Iris are both absolutely lovely people, there’s just never any evidence of attraction between them — the accidental boob graze does not count — until the moment Miles volunteers to fly halfway around the world to spend New Year’s with her.
11. Jamie & Aurelia (Colin Firth & Lucia Moniz), Love Actually
Jamie and Aurelia are cute. Obviously they are soul mates because sometimes they say the same things in different languages without realizing the other is saying the same thing in a different language. Right? I mean, that’s how love works, right?
10. Jack & Sally (Chris Sarandon/Danny Elfman & Catherine O'Hara), The Nightmare Before Christmas
Obviously Jack and Sally are iconic. But also, he could stand to be a little less self-absorbed, and she could definitely hold out for someone who isn’t totally dismissive of her consistently accurate insight.
9. Bob & Betty (Bing Crosby & Rosemary Clooney), White Christmas
They’re such an obvious perfect pair, it doesn’t even matter that their romance is so contrived!
8. Graham & Amanda (Jude Law & Cameron Diaz), The Holiday
With Miles and Iris as such an afterthought, The Holiday’s real love story falls on Graham and Amanda, the latter of whom hasn’t cried since she was 15. Guess who teaches her how to feel again?!
7. John & Holly (Bruce Willis & Bonnie Bedelia), Die Hard
Die hard. Love hard.
6. David & Natalie (Hugh Grant & Martine McCutcheon), Love Actually
They aren’t Love Actually’s greatest love story, but David and Natalie are the best couple among the Christmas classic’s various pairings. He sees past her potty mouth! She sees past his PM-ness! Chocolate biscuits for everyone!
5. Bruce & Selina (Michael Keaton & Michelle Pfeiffer), Batman Returns
Just like a fairy tale.
4. Mark & Bridget (Colin Firth & Renee Zellweger), Bridget Jones’s Diary
These two like each other, just the way they are. And what more could we ask for in a perfect Christmas couple?
3. John & Esther (Tom Drake & Judy Garland), Meet Me in St. Louis
We admit that Esther’s Grandpa is a better dancer than John Truitt. But when the sneaky old man twirls her around the Christmas tree and she waltzes back out on the other side in the boy next door’s arms, it’s nothing short of a St. Louis miracle.
2. Bob & Emily Cratchit (Kermit & Miss Piggy), A Muppet Christmas Carol
We dedicate this No. 2 position to all Mr. and Mrs. Cratchits across all Christmas Carols. But what better couple to represent this sweet pair than Kermit and Miss Piggy?
1. George & Mary (Jimmy Stewart & Donna Reed), It’s a Wonderful Life
No contest. It really is a wonderful life for George and Mary Bailey, but how could it not be when they have each other?