The Force is strong with Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker as film tops box office again with $34 million
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker remains at the top of the box office for a third week in a row. The final installment of the Skywalker Saga brought in an estimated $34 million this weekend, according to Comscore.
Also holding steady is Jumanji: The Next Level in second place with $27 million, followed by Little Women with estimated earnings of $14 million. The only newcomer in the top ten this week is the Sam Raimi-produced horror flick The Grudge, taking the fourth spot on the box office with $11.3 million during its debut in theaters.
Rounding out the top five is Disney’s Frozen 2 with an estimated $11.3 million.
Andrea Riseborough, Demián Bichir, John Cho, Betty Gilpin, and Jacki Weaver star in the latest release of The Grudge film franchise. Written and directed by Nicolas Pesce, the horror drama tells four different stories in non-chronological order. It’s centered on the investigation into a young mother who murders her family.
EW gave the film a B- saying, “The result is, deliberately, much less fun than one might expect from a wide release franchise horror sequel. But those who wish to kick off the year with a merciless slice of supernatural mayhem will not be holding a grudge against the filmmaker for that.”
Moviegoers weren’t as kind, however. Cinemascore reports an F rating from those who rushed to theaters during its debut weekend.
Overall, box office is up 7.2 percent year-to-date, according to Comscore. Check out the Jan. 3-5 numbers below:
- Where are the Star Wars characters left off at the end of The Last Jedi
- A guide to Star Wars callbacks and parallels in The Rise of Skywalker
- J.J. Abrams responds to Rise of Skywalker critics
- The Grudge matches ghoulish mayhem of earlier entries in the horror franchise
- Adam Sandler’s classic comedies prove he’s a great dramatic actor
- Watch Will Smith and Tom Holland meet for the first time
- The best and worst movie reviews of 2019
- See Greta Gerwig in behind the scenes Little Women clip
- Here’s how much Taylor Swift you can expect in Cats
- Jumanji: The Next Level trailer
- Nick Jonas talks Jumanji: The Next Level
- Want to know about that Frozen 2 end credits scene
- Daniel Craig is on the case in tense new Knives Out trailer