After scoring seven unconsummated Oscar nominations over the course of 36 years — including one this year — Glenn Close is taking a break to recharge ahead of her next career move.
The 71-year-old Hollywood icon posted a short video on Instagram Tuesday night, thanking fans for their support across her roughly six-month trek through the 2019 Oscar race — throughout which she was widely considered the Best Actress frontrunner for her work in Björn Runge’s adaptation of Meg Wolitzer’s 2003 novel The Wife.
Though Close’s performance won a slew of industry accolades (including a Golden Globe and a Screen Actors Guild Award) leading up to the Feb. 24 Oscars ceremony, The Favourite star Olivia Colman pulled off a stunning upset to take Best Actress. The “intense” publicity of the campaign trail thus inspired Close to embark on a period of introspection in anticipation of future projects.
“I’m now going to take it easy for a while; I’m going to read a lot; I’m going to think a lot,” Close said in the video. “I have some exciting possibilities coming up, but I think I need to rest and reboot and get into really great shape for the next phase, and then see what I’m going to do.”
“I’m going into a time of rest and reflection and rebooting for the next phase in my life. I’m feeling peaceful and happy,” Close added in the post’s caption. “A good friend said something wonderful. To paraphrase: ‘It’s easy to empty your cup, when dealing with life, but the great challenge is to deal with life with the overflow.’ We all need to take time to do whatever we need to do for ourselves so we can face the world with strong minds and bodies and full hearts.”
Leading up to The Wife‘s release in August 2018, Close reportedly spent 15 years trying to bring her role as Joan Castleman — a former writer whose Nobel Prize-winning husband (Jonathan Pryce) may or may not have stolen her work to forge a literary career for himself — to the big screen. The film grossed nearly $10 million at the domestic box office on top of earning solid critical reviews out of its 2017 Toronto International Film Festival debut.
“I went through this with Albert Nobbs, where I’d go into an office and pitch the movie and they couldn’t envision it. I remember someone saying ‘I don’t share your passion,’ and I said, ‘You don’t need to share my passion; I have enough passion. You need to share your money,'” Close previously told EW of trying to get the film made. “I was in the trenches pitching it all over the place for a long time.”
While Close herself has yet to reveal her next big-screen endeavor, The Hollywood Reporter indicated Thursday that the actress would reprise her Tony-winning role in the Broadway musical adaptation of Billy Wilder’s 1950 film Sunset Boulevard for a major movie in the near future.