By Nick Romano
January 25, 2019 at 03:37 PM EST
Everett Collection

Kevin Smith is always talking about items on his seemingly infinite wish list of projects, whether it’s the Buckaroo Banzai TV series (he has since dropped out) or the Mallrats sequel. So when he said multiple times that he’s making a sequel to 2001’s Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back amid the ever-changing landscape of Hollywood, it’s kind of like, “Mmm, we won’t hold our breath.” Today, however, brings word that not only is this actually happening, but production is currently underway.

Saban Films acquired North American rights to Jay and Silent Bob Reboot and “committed to a substantial theatrical release,” the distributor announced.

Smith and Jason Mewes will reprise their leading roles opposite “a number of returning players from the star-studded cast of the original movie,” who have yet to be confirmed, in addition to new cameos “from the worlds of movies, TV, music, and podcasting.”

Need more proof? Here’s a photo.

Saban Films

“Last February, I almost died,” Smith said in a statement, referencing to his hospitalization. “So on the one year anniversary of my widow maker heart attack, as a celebration of life and a big ol’ F you to Death, my best friend and I will be rolling cameras on a sequel/remake/reboot of a movie we first made nearly 20 years ago!”

“In Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back our herbal heroes found out Hollywood was making a movie based on them, so they journeyed out to Hollywood to stop it,” he continued. “But I’ve learned so much as a storyteller and have grown immensely as a filmmaker since then, so audiences can expect something completely different: In Jay & Silent Bob Reboot our herbal heroes find out Hollywood is making a reboot of the old movie that was based on them, so they journey out to Hollywood to stop it again. I offer my (literal) undying thanks to our amazing partners at Saban and Universal for making this dream come true and backing this cinematic silliness!”

As for Mewes, he’s returning as Jay because he’s just “tired of doing Shakespeare all the time.”

“It may be 25 years since I first played the idiot man-child from Jersey but this time’s going to be the best because I’ve really grown into the role of idiot man-child in my old age,” he added.

Bill Bromiley and Jonathan Saba negotiated the deal for Saban Films, with Jackie Eckhouse of Sloss Eckhouse LawCo representing the filmmakers.

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment Content Group acquired the international rights.

Related content:

type
  • Movie
Genre
mpaa
  • R
runtime
  • 95 minutes
director
Performers
Studio
Complete Coverage
Advertisement

Comments



EDIT POST