Leslie Jones has expressed anger over the announcement of a new Ghostbusters movie that will follow the timeline of the 1984 original.
Although the characters in the new movie haven’t been revealed, Jones said she hopes it won’t exclude women.
The Saturday Night Live star was one of four actresses to headline the 2016 reboot directed by Paul Feig, which told a female-centered Ghostbusters story featuring new characters who were unconnected to the first film or its 1989 sequel.
Last week, Up in the Air director Jason Reitman announced that he will be directing a film for summer 2020 that follows new characters through the same world that was saved from the apocalypse in the original story. His father Ivan Reitman directed the first two movies and produced the 2016 reboot, and will also produce this new film.
Jones, who was the focus of horrendous abuse from online trolls who objected to women being the stars of a new Ghostbusters movie, expressed her frustration on Twitter Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.
“So insulting. Like f—- us,” she tweeted. “We dint count. It’s like something trump would do. (Trump voice)’Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain’t ghostbusteeeeers’ ugh so annoying. Such a dick move. And I don’t give f— I’m saying something!!”
In an interview with EW last week, Reitman praised the all-female Ghostbusters film and said he did not want his movie to be interpreted as a sign of disrespect to the work Jones, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, or Melissa McCarthy did.
He said the only reason the films wouldn’t link to each other is because Feig’s film created an original timeline, starting fresh without the events of the earlier movies. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver, and Annie Potts appeared in cameos as entirely different characters.
“I have so much respect for what Paul created with those brilliant actresses, and would love to see more stories from them. However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film,” Reitman said.
On Sunday afternoon, Jones tweeted again about her unhappiness with the new project.
Reitman has not specified who the new Ghostbusters characters will be. His filmography is full of movies with lead female characters, such as Juno, Up in the Air, Young Adult, and Tully.
Jones’ tweets Sunday suggested her primary concern was that the new movie would feature “all men.”
“… The point is if they make this new one with all men and it does well which it will. It might feel that ‘boys are better’ it makes my heart drop,” she tweeted. “Maybe I could have use different words but I’m allowed to have my feelings just like them.”
Sony and Reitman did not respond to requests for additional comment on Sunday.
UPDATE: Feig weighed in on the matter on Twitter, too, saying he was not upset by the new movie while supporting Jones for expressing her view.
He saved his fire for the trolls who terrorized his stars, and said he too hoped someday he could revisit his movie’s characters.