'I send you love and inclusion and admiration for your courage all this time. I believe you!!'
Mira Sorvino, who won an Oscar for starring in Woody Allen’s 1995 film Mighty Aphrodite, has written an open letter voicing her support for his daughter, Dylan Farrow.
Allen was accused of molesting Farrow when she was a child in 1992, claims he has long denied. In Sorvino’s letter, published by HuffPost, the actress said she’d never work with the filmmaker again.
“I confess that at the time I worked for Woody Allen I was a naive young actress. I swallowed the media’s portrayal of your abuse allegations against your father as an outgrowth of a twisted custody battle between Mia Farrow and him, and did not look further into the situation, for which I am terribly sorry. For this I also owe an apology to Mia.”
She continued, “It is difficult to sever ties and denounce your heroes, your benefactors, whom you fondly admired and felt a debt of gratitude toward for your entire career’s existence. To decide, although they may be fantastically talented and helped you enormously, that you believe they have done things for which there can be no excuse. But that is where we stand today.”
Last fall, Sorvino claimed in an interview with Farrow’s brother Ronan Farrow for The New Yorker that disgraced mogul Harvey Weinstein behaved inappropriately with her in the 1990s. (Weinstein has denied all allegations of nonconsensual sex.) Sorvino wrote she recently spoke with Ronan again about the aftermath of coming forward and told him she wanted to learn more about his sister’s case. He directed her towards “publicly available details of the case I had ruefully never known of, which made me begin to feel the evidence strongly supported your story.”
“We are in a day and age when everything must be re-examined,” she added. “This kind of abuse cannot be allowed to continue. If this means tearing down all the old gods, so be it. … Even if you love someone, if you learn they may have committed these despicable acts, they must be exposed and condemned, and this exposure must have consequences.”
“I send you love and inclusion and admiration for your courage all this time,” Sorvino also wrote, telling Dylan, “I believe you!!”
In December, Dylan wrote an op-ed in the Los Angeles Times calling out Hollywood stars who’ve worked with Allen, including actresses Kate Winslet, Greta Gerwig, and Blake Lively. Earlier this week, Gerwig expressed regret over working on Allen’s 2012 film To Rome With Love and said she would not work with him again. Her To Rome With Love costar Ellen Page, The Tick actor Griffin Newman and The Deuce actor David Krumholtz have also recently distanced themselves from the work they’ve done with Allen.
Allen has repeatedly denied Dylan’s allegations, writing in a 2014 piece published by The New York Times, “Of course, I did not molest Dylan.” After the publication of Dylan’s Los Angeles Times piece, a representative for Allen said, “Dylan Farrow’s allegations against Woody Allen, which she first made 25 years ago, have been thoroughly examined by law enforcement officials and child welfare investigators. The investigators concluded unambiguously that Dylan Farrow was not sexually abused. No charges were ever filed, and the reason is simple: because Woody Allen is innocent.”
On Wednesday, Dylan posted a message on Twitter that thanked those who have stood up in support and called on others to do the same, referencing the recently-launched Time’s Up movement that aims to combat harassment and abuse.
“I know that standing with me against Woody Allen is not easy in this industry. I know that I am asking for courage and even sacrifice. But if #TIMESUP truly stands with all victims, as it says it does, then that sacrifice is necessary to help convert this moment to a movement,” she wrote. “To those who have already taken a stand and amplified my voice with theirs, there is a 7-year-old girl inside of me who thanks you from the bottom of her heart.”
Read Sorvino’s full letter to Dylan at HuffPost.