'This is a giant opportunity for real positive change that we proudly commit ourselves to,' the actor and his producing partner said
On Wednesday, the actor announced his plans to part ways with The Weinstein Company on Facebook, and expressed his support for the women who have come forward and accused Weinstein of sexual harassment or assault.
“The brave women who had the courage to stand up and speak their truth about Harvey Weinstein are true heroes to us,” said Tatum and his producing partner, Reid Carolin, in a joint statement. “They are lifting the heavy bricks to build the equitable world we all deserve to live in.”
“This is a giant opportunity for real positive change that we proudly commit ourselves to,” they added.
Tatum and Carolin said they were no longer moving forward with a project currently in development at the company.
“Our lone project in development with TWC — Matthew Quick’s brilliant book, Forgive Me Leonard Peacock — is a story about a boy whose life was torn asunder by sexual abuse,” the statement continues. “While we will no longer develop it or anything else that is property of TWC, we are reminded of its powerful message of healing in the wake of tragedy.”
The men concluded their announcement with a call for action.
“The truth is out,” they declared. “Let’s finish what our incredible colleagues started and eliminate abuse from our creative culture once and for all.”
Tatum had also previously worked with Weinstein on Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight, which was produced by the movie mogul.
On Tuesday, Weinstein resigned from The Weinstein Company board of directors.
Although Weinstein was fired as co-chairman of the powerhouse studio on Oct. 8, he had continued to hold a seat on the board until Tuesday. The disgraced mogul still reportedly owns 22% of the company’s stock.
Earlier this month, the board fired Weinstein citing a violation of the company’s code of ethics. The move came shortly after a series of bombshell reports alleged he had committed sexual harassment and abuse over decades. The producer’s attorney, Patricia Glaser, has challenged the termination.
The firestorm was sparked after multiple allegations of sexual misconduct and harassment against the movie mogul came to light in an Oct. 5 New York Times exposé, in which eight women — including actress Ashley Judd — accused Weinstein of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior. The paper also reported that Weinstein reached private settlements with eight women, including actress Rose McGowan, who later accused him of rape on Twitter.
The allegations were compounded by an investigation by the New Yorker, and ever since, several more women have leveled allegations of sexual harassment against Weinstein, including Cara Delevingne, Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie.
Of the accusations, a spokesperson for Weinstein previously told PEOPLE in a statement that “any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein.”
The company has been under the leadership of Weinstein’s brother and the company’s co-chairman, Bob, as well as its Chief Operating Officer, David Glasser.