Jessica Chastain, Michael Keaton, Emmy Rossum, and more are speaking out after studio head's firing

By Devan Coggan
October 09, 2017 at 05:59 PM EDT

Hollywood is speaking out about The Weinstein Company’s decision to fire Harvey Weinstein after multiple women accused him of sexual harassment.

On Sunday, The Weinstein Co. announced its board had decided to oust the producer following an explosive New York Times exposé that detailed “decades” of harassment claims. Ashley Judd was among the multiple women who alleged inappropriate behavior from Weinstein and The Times also alleged the Hollywood mogul has reached at least eight settlements with women over the years, including Rose McGowan.

Julianne Moore, Emmy Rossum, Jessica Chastain, Mark Ruffalo, and Michael Keaton were among the many stars who addressed the Weinstein allegations on social media, slamming the producer’s alleged behavior and showing their support for his accusers.

Keaton denounced Weinstein’s behavior as “disgusting and creepy,” while also drawing parallels to the sexual harassment allegations against President Donald Trump.

On Monday, Meryl Streep spoke out against Weinstein, with whom she previously worked on films like August: Osage County and The Iron Lady (which won Streep an Oscar). Streep wrote in a statement to HuffPost that Weinstein’s behavior was “inexcusable” and the women who have spoken out against him are “heroes.”

Glenn Close also joined the list of powerful actresses (alongside Judi Dench and Kate Winslet) speaking out against Weinstein and the broader “casting couch” culture at play. She issued a statement to the New York Times about the matter, saying the allegations make her “angry and darkly sad,” as well as acknowledging that she was aware of “vague rumors” surrounding Weinstein’s inappropriate behavior for years. Close went on to call for institutional and personal change, urging Hollywood to “create a new culture of respect, equality and empowerment, where bullies and their enablers are no longer allowed to prosper.”

After the Times story was published Thursday, Weinstein’s attorney Charles Harder said his client was preparing a lawsuit against the newspaper. At the time, Lisa Bloom, a lawyer who was advising Weinstein, said that he “denies many of the accusations as patently false.” She has since resigned as Weinstein’s advisor.

In a lengthy statement to The Times, Weinstein apologized for his behavior, saying that he’s “trying to do better” and he knows he has “a long way to go.”

See more reactions below.

Additional reporting by Maureen Lee Lenker.

Advertisement

Comments

EDIT POST