Dylan O'Brien injuries further delay Maze Runner sequel production
Fox has shut down production indefinitely on Maze Runner: The Death Cure to give star Dylan O’Brien more time to heal from injuries he suffered in an on-set accident last month.
O’Brien, 24, was hurt filming a vehicular stunt for the post-apocalyptic adventure movie on March 18 in Vancouver, Canada, and his injuries have turned out to be more severe than initially thought.
“His injuries are very serious and he needs more time to recover,” O’Brien’s publicist, Jennifer Allen, told EW in a statement.
Twentieth Century Fox said in a statement, “The resumption of principal photography on Maze Runner: The Death Cure has been further delayed to allow Dylan O’Brien more time to fully recover from his injuries. We wish Dylan a speedy recovery and look forward to restarting production as soon as possible.”
Production on the film had been slated to resume next month.
The Death Cure is the third installment in a trilogy based on James Dashner’s YA novels. The director is Wes Ball, who helmed the previous films, The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials.
The Death Cure is currently scheduled to hit theaters Feb. 17, 2017.
The Hollywood Reporter first reported the news.