Casting Net: Steve Carell to star in Marwencol
- Recent Oscar-nominee Steve Carell is signing on to star in the feature adaptation of Jeff Malmberg’s 2010 documentary Marwencol. The screenplay follows Mark Hogancamp, whose memory was wiped away due to a vicious assault. He finds comfort in building a miniature village which is populated by dolls whose identities are very real to him, and their actions help him cope with what happened to him. [The Wrap]
- Russell Brand, Denis O’Hare, Ken Marino, Paul Scheer, and Rainn Wilson have lined up to join Nicolas Cage in Army of One. The film is loosely based on a GQ article and inspired by the real life story of Gary Faulkner, a handyman from Colorado who received a vision telling him to go to Pakistan to capture Osama bin Laden. He attempts to do so without any skills. [Deadline]
- Noomi Rapace (Prometheus, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) has landed the lead role in Rupture, a sci-fi adventure from AMBI Group. The plot details remain closely guarded but it is known that Rapace will play a struggling single mother who is abducted by a mysterious organization. While trying to escape, she uncovers an extraordinary secret about herself. Steven Shainberg (Secretary) from a screenplay written by Brian Nelson (Hard Candy). Principal photography will begin in June.
- Golden Globe-winner Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin) will be starring in Purple Hearts, “a deeply affecting love story about an aspiring musician and a soldier who marry under false pretenses, but eventually find true love.” [The Wrap]
- Diego Klattenhoff (The Blacklist) will star in the indie horror-thriller Lavender, which centers around a woman who must return to her childhood home to try and remember the grisly family massacre that took place there, of which she was the sole survivor. The ghosts of her family make her remember what really happened the night of the night they died. Klattenhoff will play the family patriarch. The film will be shot this summer in Toronto. [Variety]
- Amanda Schull, Milo Ventimiglia, Shawn Ashmore, Bridget Regan, and Jonathan Frakes have all signed on to the suspense thriller Devil’s Gate. The film is set in the small town of Devil’s Gate, North Dakota, and examines the disappearance of a local woman (Regan) and her young son. Schull will play an FBI agent who helps the local sheriff (Frakes) look for answers. Partnering with a deputy (Ashmore), they find the missing woman’s husband (Ventimiglia) and discover that nothing is as it seems. Filming will take place on location in Winnipeg, Canada from April 27 through June. [The Wrap]