9 Things Shane Black Taught Me
''Ready Player One''/''Fanboys'' author Ernest Cline is a longtime admirer of ''Iron Man 3'' director; pearls of wisdom he's picked up by following the man's work over the years
1. First time can be a box office charm Lethal Weapon (1987)
'' Lethal Weapon was my first exposure to Mr. Black's work and I've been a fan of his writing ever since,'' says Fanboys screenwriter Ernest
2. Wolfman self-defense 101 The Monster Squad (1987)
''Shane Black collaborated with director Fred Dekker on this '80s classic about a group of horror movie loving kids who have to do battle with
3. ''If it bleeds, we can kill it.'' Predator (1987)
''Shane Black has done some acting over the years, and I think his best role was in Predator as Hawkins, a wise-cracking member of Arnie's
4. Joe Pesci makes any movie better Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
''You know it's true.''
5. Getting stuck inside a Shane Black movie would suck Last Action Hero (1993)
''Shane Black was hired to rewrite Last Action Hero , which is a bit strange, because the original script was a blatant parody of his
6. You can kill a deer with your bare hands The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)
''This flick is like The Bourne Identity if Jason Bourne woke up and discovered he was a suburban soccer mom. Black's original script was heavily
7. Keep a small pistol hidden...down there Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
''You never know when it might save your life.''
8. Stick with what works Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
''For his first turn as director, Mr. Black took about five different film genres, put them in a blender, and created an incredibly clever, funny,
9. Christmas is a great time for a gunfight Clockwise from top left: The Long Kiss Goodnight, Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and The Last Boy Scout (1991)
''A lot of Shane Black movies seem to be set around Christmastime. 'Tis the season...for explosions!''