Update: This story previously reported that James Corden had the most 2019 Emmy nominations with six. A new update from the Television Academy calculates that Corden actually has seven nominations, but that producer Ben Winston — who works on Corden’s Late Late Show — is actually the most-nominated with eight nods. Corden remains the most-nominated performer.
Corden became the most-nominated performer of the 71st Emmy Awards on Tuesday, with nominations in the following seven categories:
- Outstanding Host for a Reality or Competition Program for The World’s Best
- Outstanding Short Form Variety Series for Carpool Karaoke: The Series
- Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special for Carpool Karaoke: When Corden Met McCartney Live From Liverpool
- Outstanding Variety Special Pre-Recorded for Carpool Karaoke: When Corden Met McCartney Live From Liverpool
- Outstanding Creative Achievement in Interactive Media Within an Unscripted Program for The Late Late Show Carpool Karaoke Primetime Special 2019
- Outstanding Interactive Program for The Late Late Show with James Corden
- Outstanding Variety Talk Series for The Late Late Show with James Corden
Corden’s Carpool Karaoke series takes superstars like Celine Dion, Barbra Streisand, and Ariana Grande out for a car ride to sing their famous songs along with the host. The series was inspired by a scene in Corden’s highly acclaimed British sitcom Gavin and Stacy in which his character shares a car with George Michael and the two sing together.
Although Corden has teased that he and his family are homesick and could eventually leave the United States behind to head back to his native England, he now has seven new reasons to stay.