Comic-Con: Suspect booked on assault charge for alleged Hall H attack
Police arrested a man July 24 inside San Diego Comic-Con’s 6,000-person Hall H after he allegedly assaulted another man and cut him on or near his eyelid with a pen in a dispute over seating. Police said attendees subdued the attacker, who was arrested without further incident. The man was led out of the hall by police in handcuffs to boos from the crowd, according to an EW reporter on the scene. The victim was taken to the hospital, and the alleged attacker has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon, according to a Wired.com report.
The attack occurred at the rear of Hall H around 5 p.m. PDT, between the panels for the movies Resident Evil: Afterlife and the sci-fi comedy Paul. The star-studded panel for Paul was delayed approximately 30 minutes while movie trailers were screened for the Hall H crowd. Later that evening, during the Hall H presentation for Universal’s Cowboys & Aliens, star Harrison Ford was led onto the stage in handcuffs by Comic-Con “guards.” The gag, which received a standing ovation from the audience, was only a coincidence — a studio rep told EW it was an orchestrated joke to play off how Ford, who’s never attended Comic-Con, had been “dragged” to the convention against his will. The joke had been in the works since Friday.
(Reporting by Jeff Jensen, Adam B. Vary, and John Young)