Zac Efron says he 'bounced back' after getting sick filming survival series in Papua New Guinea
The actor took to Instagram on Sunday to let fans know he’s feeling better after reports surfaced that he had contracted a potentially life-threatening illness. “Very thankful to everyone who has reached out. I did get sick in Papua New Guinea but I bounced back quick and finished an amazing 3 weeks in P.N.G.,” he wrote.
“I’m home for the holidays with my friends and family. Thanks for all the love and concern, see you in 2020!” he added.
Earlier today, The Sunday Telegraph reported that the actor was in the middle of shooting the upcoming Quibi series when he fell ill. He was then rushed to a hospital in Australia, according to the outlet, which reported that Efron was believed to have contracted a form of typhoid or similar bacterial infection. The Telegraph reported that Efron returned to the United States on Christmas Eve.
EW has reached out to Efron’s representatives for comment.
The reality show, announced back in November, will feature Efron going off-grid “deep into the jungles of a remote, dangerous island to carve his own name in expedition history.” The Quibi platform is set to launch April 6, 2020.
“I tend to thrive under extreme circumstances and seek out opportunities that challenge me on every level,” said Efron, who also executive produces the series, in a November statement. “I am excited to explore any uncharted territory and discover what unexpected adventure awaits!”
Efron was photographed exploring Papua New Guinea with locals earlier this month.