Kellyanne Conway clarified comments she made last week about President-elect Donald Trump’s involvement in the Celebrity Apprentice reboot, telling reporters on Thursday that she “was kidding” when she claimed he would work on the show in his “spare time.”
“I was kidding,” Conway, who was Trump’s campaign manager, told reporters at Trump Tower in New York City. “Everybody’s so humorless. Okay, any free time he has, he works. I promise.”
Trump confirmed this week via Twitter that he will not be working on The Apprentice during his time in office, and slammed reports about his involvement as “fake news.”
“I have NOTHING to do with The Apprentice except for the fact that I conceived it with Mark [Burnett] & have a big stake in it. Will devote ZERO TIME!” he tweeted on Saturday.
He also criticized CNN in a second tweet, writing, “Reports by CNN that I will be working on The Apprentice during my Presidency, even part time, are ridiculous & untrue – FAKE NEWS!”
Conway, however, had suggested otherwise the day prior to Trump’s tweets, telling CNN, “The fact is, he is conferring with all kinds of experts to tell him what he is allowed to do and not to do as the president of the United States. And if [The Apprentice] is one of the approved activities, then perhaps he’ll consider staying on.”
She also said that working on The Apprentice would not provide a conflict of interest for Trump. “Were we so concerned about the hours and hours and hours spent on the golf course of the current president?” she asked. “Presidents have the right to do things in their spare time or their leisure time. Nobody objects to that.”
Involved or not, Trump will keep his executive producer credit on NBC’s upcoming Celebrity Apprentice revamp, which is being hosted by Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Watch Conway discuss The Apprentice in the video below. Her “kidding” comment starts at the 2:41 mark.