Arrow boss teases winter finale
After their brief hiatus fighting aliens and reliving their past during the Invasion crossover, the heroes of Star City must face off with big bad Prometheus in the Arrow winter finale.
When Prometheus makes a move against Team Arrow, Oliver (Stephen Amell) realizes that their secret identities have been blown and they’re now being hunted by this masked madman one by one. “I think it might be my favorite midseason finale that Arrow has ever done,” executive producer Marc Guggenheim tells EW. “A lot of pieces fall into place. There’s some big reveals.”
Below, Guggenheim teases some of those big reveals in store:
- Will Prometheus be unmasked?! “You’ll have to watch the episode,” Guggenheim says. “Prometheus will make an appearance.”
- New flashbacks ahead: “There’s an idea that carried over from the 100th episode into the 101st,” Guggenheim says. “The flashbacks will be actually flashbacks to season 1… One of the things I wanted to do originally was flash back to season 1 in the 100th episode. Very quickly we realized that we were telling far too much story for the 100th episode and there simply wasn’t any room for that idea. We get to nod a little bit to our 100th episode legacy in our midseason finale.”
- Team Arrow’s betrayal: “We know from the end of episode 507 that Evelyn is working with Prometheus,” Guggenheim says. “We get a very quick payoff to the cliffhanger of 507.” Read more on that here.
- Felicity’s relationships will collide: “People who have been waiting for Oliver to meet Felicity’s boyfriend won’t be disappointed,” Guggenheim says. “I can tease that Oliver is going to meet Malone, and there’s a Felicity-Oliver moment that the fans will really enjoy.”
- Curtis is in for some trouble: “I can tease that we are going to finally discover what Paul, Curtis’ husband, thinks about how Curtis has been spending his nights since he decided to become a vigilante,” Guggenheim says.
- The Dominators are gone, but not forgotten: “We get a little bit of Oliver and Thea acknowledging all the things that happened in the 100th episode,” Guggenheim says.
- The crossover may be over, but the action has not abated. “There’s an escalator fight sequence that I’m particularly enamored with,” Guggenheim teases.
Bonus: “There’s a shocking end of the winter [finale] moment for Oliver,” executive producer Greg Berlanti reveals of the cliffhanger.
Arrow‘s winter finale airs Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET on The CW. A portion of this interview aired on Superhero Insider, EW’s SiriusXM weekly radio show (Thursdays at 11 a.m. PT/2 p.m. ET on Ch. 105), hosted by Kyle Anderson and this reporter.