Eagles of Death Metal: Bataclan refuses band
Eagles of Death Metal
UPDATE: In a statement to Billboard, the manager for Eagles of Death Metal said Jesse Hughes never attempted to enter the Bataclan club for its reopening on Saturday night.
“This day is not about Jesse Hughes or Eagles of Death Metal. In fact, Jesse is in Paris to share in remembering the tragic events of a year ago with his friends, family and fans,” manager Marc Pollack said. “This is about recalling the tragic loss of life that happened right in front of his eyes during his show, and this coward Jules Frutos feels the need to soil his own club’s reopening by spreading false tales to the press, and tainting a wonderful opportunity that could’ve been used to spread peace and love, to further spread mean spirited words of hate. Jesse never even tried entering the club for Sting’s show tonight.”
Frutos told an AFP reporter Hughes was denied entry to the club because of his controversial statements following the Paris terror attack last year. “They came, I threw them out — there are things you can’t forgive,” he said.
After 89 people were killed during the Eagles of Death Metal concert in Paris last November, Hughes said in an interview that he found it curious many security guards didn’t show up for the show.
“When I first got to the venue and walked in, I walked past the dude who was supposed to be the security guard for the backstage. He didn’t even look at me. I immediately went to the promoter and said, ‘Who’s that guy? I want to put another dude on,’ and he goes, ‘Well some of the other guards aren’t here yet,’ and eventually I found out that six or so wouldn’t show up at all,” Hughes said to Fox News, adding, “it seems rather obvious that they had a reason not to show up.”
Reps for the Bataclan deemed those comments “very grave and defamatory accusations,” and Hughes later apologized for the remarks.
“I humbly beg forgiveness from the people of France, the staff and security of the Bataclan, my fans, family, friends and anyone else hurt or offended by the absurd accusations I made in my Fox Business Channel interview. My suggestions that anyone affiliated with the Bataclan played a role in the events of November 13 are unfounded and baseless — and I take full responsibility for them,” he said. “They do not reflect opinions of my bandmates or anyone associated with Eagles of Death Metal. The shame is 100 percent mine. I’ve been dealing with non-stop nightmares and struggling through therapy to make sense of this tragedy and insanity. I haven’t been myself since Nov. 13. I realize there’s no excuse for my words, but for what it’s worth: I am sincerely sorry for having hurt, disrespected or accused anyone.”
Three months after the attacks, Eagles of Death Metal returned to Paris and performed a tribute concert at the Olympia theater in honor of those who died. A documentary on the band and the Paris attacks, directed by Colin Hanks, was announced earlier this month. It will air exclusively on HBO in February.
On Saturday night, the Paris club reopened for the first time since the Paris attacks last year, with a concert from rock legend Sting.
Eagles of Death Metal