A production company has been fined close 1.6 million pounds ($1.95 million) over an accident on the set of Star Wars: The Force Awakens that broke Harrison Ford’s leg.
According to the Associated Press, the verdict was decided Wednesday at the Aylesbury Crown Court, north of London. The company, Foodles Production Ltd., a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Co., pleaded guilty in July to two breaches of health and safety legislation stemming from the accident.
Ford, who reprised his role as Han Solo, was injured on the film’s set at Pinewood Studios near London in June 2014 when a hydraulic metal door on the Millennium Falcon fell and shattered his leg.
Judge Francis Sheridan stated on Wednesday that the production company should have warned Ford of the risks of the ship. “If only they had included Mr. Ford in all the discussions, he might have at least been alert to the dangers that he had to avoid,” said Sheridan. Prosecutors had previously stated the force of the door could have killed the Indiana Jones actor, who was 71 at the time.
In a statement obtained by the BBC, Foodles said it “deeply regretted” what it described as an “unfortunate on-set accident.”
After the initial incident, the company suspended production for two weeks, and the overall shooting schedule for the seventh film in the Star Wars franchise was shifted. “I knew that my leg was likely broken, and I didn’t know what other injuries there were,” Ford later told EW. “I was mostly concerned about the long ambulance ride to London.”
The Force Awakens was released in December 2015 and has since taken in more than $2 billion at the worldwide box office. Its follow-up, Episode VIII, arrives on Dec. 15, 2017.