Jurassic World sequel teased by director J.A. Bayona
J.A. Bayona is not allowed to say much about the upcoming Jurassic World sequel he will direct, but the filmmaker did confirm the dinosaur story won’t end there.
“We’re very into Jurassic World right now. It’s very exciting. [Original director] Colin Trevorrow has envisioned a whole trilogy of films. Very ambitious. And we’re writing the second chapter, working very close together,” Bayona said inside the PEOPLE / EW / InStyle Portrait Studio at the Toronto International Film Festival on Saturday, where the director’s latest film A Monster Calls premiered.
As for what to expect from the sequel, which is due out in 2018, Bayona stayed mum on concrete details. “It’s very exciting. I cannot tell you very much about it, but we are very excited,” he said.
The Spanish filmmaker was hired to direct the Jurassic World follow-up back in April, succeeding Trevorrow in the director’s chair. The sequel will see Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard return in starring roles, and is expected to expand on the first film.
“I feel like the audience has given us permission, to a certain extent, to take this to the next level,” Trevorrow said about the film. “I don’t necessarily mean in scale. I feel very strongly that it’s not about more dinosaurs or bigger and better dinosaurs. It’s about using this as a starting point for a much larger story about our relationship with these animals, and with animals in general, and the dynamic created by bringing them back to life.”
Released last year, Jurassic World was a runaway box office smash, earning $1.6 billion worldwide, the fourth most ever for a film behind only Avatar, Titanic, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Watch Bayona discuss the film above. The second Jurassic World film will debut on June 22, 2018.