Ryan Lochte is the name on everybody’s lips, but not for the best of reasons. After it was revealed that the Olympic swimmer fabricated a story about being robbed at gunpoint in Rio de Janeiro, Lochte was charged with filing a false robbery report by Brazilian authorities. But Lochte isn’t in Brazil to face those charges — he’s back in the U.S., where on Tuesday morning he revealed that he will be a contestant on the upcoming season of Dancing With the Stars.
After being charged with the crime on Thursday, CNN reported that Lochte will be summoned to Rio to face the charges, but he has the option to avoid court and send a lawyer. If convicted, he could be given one to six months in jail or face a fine, according to CNN.
On Aug. 14, Lochte said that he had been held a gunpoint and robbed alongside a few of his teammates — Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger, and James Feigen — in Rio. Soon afterwards, it came to light that Lochte was actually held at gunpoint by securty at a gas station he and his teammates had vandalized, as the guards demanded that the swimmers pay for the damages they had incurred.
Following the controversy, Lochte made a public apology on social media and in an interview with Matt Lauer, saying that he “overexaggerated that story.” But Lochte was still dropped by his major sponsors, including Speedo and Ralph Lauren.
So what do you think: Are you all in for Lochte on Dancing With the Stars, or are you of another mind about it? Vote in our poll below before the show returns Sept. 12 at 8 p.m. ET on ABC, and keep scrolling to see what EW’s Facebook followers said about the topic.