Amy Schumer's The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo: Top 10 Kindle highlights
Amy Schumer has made a career out of her honest brand of humor, something she maintains in her latest book, The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo. The comedian is also very open about her life, talking about everything from her secret junk food habits to her sexual assault, all the while dishing out some powerful advice.
And readers are paying attention, especially on Kindle where some candid and moving moments are standing out more than others. Amazon, which owns the handheld reading device and downloadable book service, has provided EW with the top 10 Kindle highlights from the book, including her thoughts on societal standards for women, family, and self-image, as well as Schumer’s passages about being an introvert, which nabs three of the 10 spots.
See the list below:
1. “Being an introvert doesn’t mean you’re shy. It means you enjoy being alone. Not just enjoy it, you need it. If you’re a true introvert, other people are basically energy vampires. You don’t hate them; you just have to be strategic about when you expose yourself to them — like the sun.”
3. “Maybe I’m a c–t anyway, but it’s not because I don’t want to blink and smile at someone as they tell me they ran cross-country in middle school.”
4. “The saddest realization I’ve had in my life is that my parents are people. Sad, human people. I aged a decade in that moment.”
5. “So if you’re an introvert like me, especially a female introvert, or a person who is expected to give away your energy to everyone else on the reg, I want to encourage you to find time to be alone. Don’t be afraid to excuse yourself. Recharge for as long as you need. Lean up against a tree and take a break from the other bears. I’ll be there too, but I promise not to bother you.”
6. “When you get older and wiser, you get your confidence from within, not from the person you are having sex with.”
7. “I don’t even want to know someone who isn’t barely hanging on by a thread.”
8. “I know my worth. I embrace my power. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story. I will. I’ll speak and share and f–k and love, and I will never apologize for it. I am amazing for you, not because of you. I am not who I sleep with. I am not my weight. I am not my mother. I am myself. And I am all of you.”
9. “I look at the saddest things in life and laugh at how awful they are, because they are hilarious and it’s all we can do with moments that are painful.”
10. “Social media is a great tool for all of us introverts and decent people alike as it speeds up the time between thinking someone is great and realizing they’re the worst.”
The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo