Lin-Manuel Miranda comments on leaving Hamilton
Backstage after Sunday’s Tony Awards ceremony, Hamilton creator and star Lin-Manuel Miranda told reporters that while he plans to leave the show “sometime this summer,” he expects to leave the door open for a possible return.
“The answer to that is, flash forward to a few years when you are going to be so sick of me playing Hamilton,” Miranda joked after the Tonys. “Because I have written this character that I cannot age out of.”
He added, “I intend to drop in on this thing over and over again. … I want to cut to 20 years from now, when you’re like ‘Lin, when will you stop playing Hamilton.”
As expected, Hamilton dominated at the Tony Awards, winning 11 total awards. While the hip-hop musical fell short of the all-time record for Tonys wins (held by The Producers, which won 12 times in 2001), it was awarded best musical, best actor in a musical (Leslie Odom Jr.), best featured actor in a musical (Daveed Diggs), and best featured actress in a musical (Renée Elise Goldsberry), among others. Miranda himself won two awards on Sunday night, best score and best book of a musical.
While accepting the award for best score, Miranda read a sonnet that touched on the massacre of 50 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida early Sunday morning.
“I hadn’t written anything going into today. I hadn’t heard about the day’s events until after our Tony rehearsal,” Miranda said of his speech. “I’d always had this time between rehearsal and tonight to think about what I’d say if I was lucky enough to be called up, and it sort of informed all of it.”
He added, “We live in this world where beautiful and horrible things exist at the same time and often on the same day. … Theater doesn’t exist without the LGBTQ community. It’s the cornerstone of our industry.”
It was previously reported that Miranda will leave Hamilton in July, but that has not been confirmed.
For a full list of Tony Awards winners, head here.
—Reporting by Isabella Biedenharn