Tony Awards: Hamilton, Spring Awakening casts among performers
See the full list of performers at Sunday’s ceremony
The Tony Awards have always offered Broadway fans around the world a chance to see performances from the hottest productions without a pricey admission ticket. This year’s 70th installment is no different. On Wednesday, CBS announced an impressive line-up of 10 “show-stopping” performances for Sunday’s ceremony, hosted by James Corden.
Hamilton, of course, will be making a splash, but perhaps the most surprising performance on the docket is the groundbreaking Deaf West revival of Spring Awakening. After opening on Broadway last fall, the show enjoyed a popular, limited run through January. When the production was invited to perform at the Tony Awards, however, it faced a unique problem: Since its run was over, it no longer had the budget to stage a Tony performance. To meet the costs, the production launched a successful Kickstarter campaign. Though only $165,000 has been raised of its $200,000 goal so far, today’s announcement confirms Spring Awakening’s spot on the telecast.
Here is the full list of performers:
- The cast of Hamilton, featuring Tony nominees Lin-Manuel Miranda, Phillipa Soo, Leslie Odom Jr., Renee Elise Goldsberry, Christopher Jackson, and Daveed Diggs
- The cast of Waitress, featuring Tony nominees Sara Bareilles, Christopher Fitzgerald and Jessie Mueller
- The cast of The Color Purple, featuring Tony nominees Danielle Brooks and Cynthia Erivo
- The cast of School of Rock, featuring Tony nominee Alex Brightman
- The cast of She Loves Me, featuring Tony nominees Laura Benanti, Zachary Levi and Jane Krakowski
- The cast of Shuffle Along, featuring Tony nominees Brandon Victor Dixon and Adrienne Warren
- The cast of Fiddler on the Roof, featuring Tony nominee Danny Burstein
- The cast of Bright Star, featuring Tony nominee Carmen Cusack
- The cast of On Your Feet, featuring Gloria Estefan
- The cast of Spring Awakening
The legendary Barbra Streisand will be presenting during the big show, as will Oprah Winfrey, Steve Martin, Edie Brickell, Uzo Aduba, Cate Blanchett, Claire Danes, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jake Gyllenhaal, Neil Patrick Harris, Sean Hayes, James Earl Jones, Daniel Dae Kim, Carole King, Diane Lane, Nathan Lane, Angela Lansbury, Lucy Liu, Marlee Matlin, Audra McDonald, Patina Miller, Andrew Rannells, Saoirse Ronan, and Blair Underwood.
The 70th annual Tony Awards, hosted by James Corden, airs Sunday, June 12 at 8 p.m. on CBS.