Conjuring 3: James Wan says he may not have the time to direct third film
Filmmaker James Wan says he may not have the time to direct a third movie in The Conjuring horror franchise. The Furious 7 director made 2013’s original The Conjuring and its sequel, The Conjuring 2 (out Friday), both of which star Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga as real-life paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren. But Wan could be too busy over the next couple of years directing the DC superhero movie Aquaman, and the big screen version of anime franchise Robotech to make a threequel in the haunted house series, should the box office earnings of The Conjuring 2 justify one.
“Another Conjuring?” muses Wan. “Jeez, I love the world, I love Patrick and Vera, and I have such a great relationship with New Line and Warner Bros., so the idea of coming back to that family is not a bad thing. I wouldn’t turn anything down, I think. But, you did hit it on the head, I am quite busy potentially for the next couple of years. So, who knows if they’ll actually wait for me to come back and do another one?”
Wan has a history of establishing what prove to be hugely successful horror franchises and then moving on from them. Although he is still closely associated with the Saw films he only directed the first entry in the series. After making 2011’s Insidious and 2013’s Insidious: Chapter II, he stepped aside to let franchise writer Leigh Whannell direct last year’s Insidious: Chapter III. It was recently announced that a fourth Insidious movie would be made by Adam Robitel, the director of 2014’s The Taking of Deborah Logan.
You can see the trailer for The Conjuring 2, below.
For more on James Wan and The Conjuring 2 pick up the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly on newsstands or purchase a copy here.
The Conjuring 2