Cannes roundup: Elizabeth Olsen, Patricia Clarkson to share a role in Broadway drama
- Elizabeth Olsen, Patricia Clarkson, and Chris Cooper will star in Light on Broken Glass, a drama about a Broadway actress (Clarkson) who reflects on her career. Olsen will play Clarkson’s character as a young actress. Isabel Coixet (Learning to Drive, Elegy) will direct.
- Halle Berry and Michael Douglas team up for Silence. From producer Will Packer, the film shows the effect of a man whose life is saved by a stranger during a snowy Chicago riot. [Deadline]
- One day after it was announced that A24 had acquired U.S. distribution rights for Andrew Garfield’s new movie, the project has added another high-profile star: Dakota Johnson will join Garfield in Under the Silver Lake, the next film from It Follows director David Robert Mitchell. [THR]
- Sherlock star Martin Freeman, fresh from his turn in Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War, will lead up a new zombie thriller called Cargo. The film will star Freeman as a father who must keep his infant child from becoming a zombie after being infected. [THR]
- A24 is in final negotiations to acquire Joaquin Phoenix‘s next film, You Were Never Really Here. The revenge thriller comes from director Lynne Ramsay. [Variety]
- Jena Malone has picked up a leading role in the romantic drama A Moment to Remember. Director Ben Lewin’s (The Sessions) movie is inspired by Pure Soul, a Japanese TV series. [THR]
- Kong: Skull Island star Toby Kebbell will play the lead in The Fast and the Furious director Rob Cohen’s next action film, Category 5, about a heist during a devastating hurricane.
- Saban Films is close to acquiring U.S. distribution rights to The Girl with All the Gifts, a post-apocalyptic thriller starring Gemma Arterton, Paddy Considine, and Glenn Close. Colm McCarthy (Peaky Blinders, Sherlock) will direct.
- British documentarian Louis Theroux‘s first feature, My Scientology Movie — composed of a series of dramatic reenactments witnessed by former Scientologists — has landed a U.S. distributor in Magnolia. [Variety]