Tim Burton gives update on 'Beetlejuice 2': 'There’s nothing concrete yet'
Rumors have long swirled around a potential Beetlejuice sequel, and the recent surge in reboots has only heightened hunger for a follow-up to the 1988 horror-comedy flick. After reports that the film was in development were shut down back in March, director Tim Burton is giving a new update on its status.
“It’s something that I really would like to do in the right circumstances, but it’s one of those films where it has to be right. It’s not a kind of a movie that cries out [for a sequel], it’s not the Beetlejuice trilogy,” Burton said in a recent Collider interview. “So it’s something that if the elements are right — because I do love the character and Michael’s amazing as that character, so we’ll see. But there’s nothing concrete yet.”
Though his rep previously discredited claims that the script had been completed and original stars Winona Ryder and Michael Keaton were confirmed to return, Burton also addressed the false reports that surfaced online.
“This is the thing, it’s something that I’m interested in, but there’s so many stories [online], dumping Michael Keaton for Johnny Depp and this or that, and I’ve talked to these people and they didn’t wanna hear this so they just made up a story,” he said.
Over the years, Burton and some of Beetlejuice‘s lead actors have all expressed interest in revisiting the cult film, which revolves around a a “bio-exorcist” (Keaton) hired by a ghostly couple (Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin) to evict a living family — including their goth daughter, Lydia (Ryder) — from their home.
The original Beetlejuice was wildly successful when it premiered, grossing nearly $74 million and earning wide critical acclaim. It even spawned an animated TV series of the same name, which aired for four seasons from 1989 to 1991.
Though there are no active plans to pursue Beetlejuice 2 at the moment, Burton’s comments don’t dash all hope. “[T]he fact of it is I have talked to Michael and I have talked to Winona. I’ve talked to a few people,” he added.
Burton is currently at work on his next film, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, based on the bestseller by Ransom Riggs and due out Sept. 30. He’s then set to dig into a live-action adaptation of the Disney classic, Dumbo.