ATX Television Festival announces final panels
ATX Television Festival
- TV Show
The full slate of panels for the 2016 ATX Television Festival is completely announced, as of a Wednesday. The celebration of television in Austin, Texas, returning for its fifth year from June 9-12, has rounded out its schedule with a timely panel on stereotypical portrayals of LGBTQIA characters on television, a conversation with Shondaland producer Betsy Beers, and a screening and panel with the cast and producers of USA’s Royal Pains. Check out the details on the newly added panels below:
- GLAAD will present a “Bury Your Tropes” panel, which will take on the stereotypical tropes that have led to much discussion recently about the portrayal of LGBTQIA characters and storylines, and the panelists, which include Bradley Bredeweg (The Fosters), Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost, The 100), Krista Vernoff (Shameless, Grey’s Anatomy), Carter Covington (Faking It), and Megan Townsend, Entertainment Media Strategist for GLAAD, will take part in a larger conversation about the importance of inclusion and positive representation on television.
- Entertainment Weekly’s editor-in-chief Henry Goldblatt will sit down with Shondaland’s Betsy Beers for “3 Rounds with Betsy Beers: a Look Inside Shondaland,” during which the two will discuss the inner workings of Shondaland over three rounds of drinks, inspired by EW’s “3 Rounds With…” feature in the magazine, which will be themed around the leading ladies of Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away with Murder.
- ATX will host a special screening of an episode from the final season of USA Network’s Royal Pains followed by a panel featuring cast members Mark Feuerstein, Henry Winkler, Paulo Costanzo, Brooke D’Orsay, Reshma Shetty and Ben Shenkman, along with creator and executive producer Andrew Lenchewski, and executive producer Michael Rauch.
- The Television Academy will present “Power(ful) TV,” a panel focused on television’s ability to touch viewers’ hearts and minds and power social change. Television Academy President and COO, Maury McIntyre, will lead an energizing discussion with panelists Jason Katims (The Path, Friday Night Lights, Parenthood), Bradley Bredeweg (The Fosters), Jennie Snyder Urman (Jane the Virgin), Mike Royce (Men of a Certain Age) and Jack Amiel (The Knick). These dynamic producers will discuss how they organically address storylines of race, religion, the foster care system, immigration, abortion, health care and other topics, with the hope and belief that their programs will spark empathy, greater understanding of the issues and constructive action.
- Hulu’s critically acclaimed new series The Path, which was just picked up for a second season, will hold a screening and panel featuring creator and executive producer Jessica Goldberg, who will be attending ATX as a first time panelist, and executive producer Jason Katims, who will also be part of the previously announced Friday Night Lights High School Reunion on Panther Field.
- Emmy-winning writer and executive producer Howard Gordon, who was previously announced as part of the panel for FX’s Tyrant, will hold a Master Class at this year’s ATX, which will be moderated by Hitfix’s Alan Sepinwall. In an intimate setting, Gordon will reflect on his successes and failures, and mentors and protégés over the years, and the lessons he’s learned throughout his career.
- MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell will moderate the previously announced panel, “The West Wing Administration,” which marks the 10th anniversary of The West Wing finale. Also cast member, and now Senior Director of Justice for Vets, Melissa Fitzgerald, joins the line-up of creator/executive producer Aaron Sorkin, director/executive producer Thomas Schlamme, and cast members Bradley Whitford, Dule Hill, Joshua Malina, Richard Schiff and Janel Moloney on the panel.
- Freeform will hold an advance screening and panel their new crime mystery series Guilt, which is set to debut June 13, and will feature co-creator/writer/executive producer Kathryn Price (The Game Plan) and executive producer/writer Todd Slavkin (Defiance), along with a to-be-announced cast member. Guilt joins the previously announced new Freeform series Dead of Summer, which will hold a screening and panel with creators/executive producers Adam Horowitz & Edward Kitsis, and Ian Goldberg (Once Upon a Time).
- ATX will also host a panel with Matt Hullum and Burnie Burns, the co-founders of the pioneering studio Rooster Teeth, who will join the creative forces behind two of the company’s new feature shows – Day 5, with co-creator/executive producer Josh Flanagan and lead actor Jesse Boyd, and Crunch Time, with writer/director Andrew Disney and writer Bradley Jackson – as they discuss programming and producing series for an ever-evolving digital landscape, and how they meet the growing demand for high quality programming.
ATX Television Festival