Tina Fey declined Mean Girls sequel, but a musical adaptation could be fetch
Note to Paramount: stop trying to make Mean Girls sequels happen. They’re not going to happen — at least not with Tina Fey involved.
The former Saturday Night Live star appeared on The Howard Stern Show to promote her new movie, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, though the discussion quickly turned to Fey’s disinterest in working on a sequel to the beloved 2004 teen comedy that she wrote and starred in alongside Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, and Lizzy Caplan.
“In general, I don’t know why I didn’t just try to do Mean Girls 2. Everyone does [sequels],” Fey said, noting that Paramount had been asking her for years to help produce a follow-up to the original, which grossed $130 million at the worldwide box-office and spawned a massive cult following.
Stern asked Fey if she’d watched the made-for-TV movie, which aired on ABC Family in 2011. “I watched part of it and I was like, oh, [original cast member] Tim Meadows did it,” she said. “If I had known Tim was doing it, I would have done a pass on [the script] for him and tried to give him more jokes.”
When probed on the quality of Mean Girls 2, however, she tip-toed around the answer Stern clearly wanted. “It was horrible, right?” he asked. “I don’t know … Sometimes it’s okay [to not make a sequel], right?” Fey replied.
Fey also spilled a few details on the upcoming Mean Girls stage musical. She told Stern that her husband, composer Jeff Richmond, is working on the music with lyricist Nell Benjamin, who worked on the stage adaptation of Legally Blonde.
Listen to more of Stern’s interview with Fey above.