Kesha vs. Dr Luke: Pop star posts note to Facebook
The pop star speaks out after being denied a preliminary injunction against Dr. Luke.
One day after breaking her silence on social media, Kesha shared a detailed note thanking fans and fellow singers for support as her legal battle with Dr. Luke continues forward.
“I’m so, so beyond humbled and thankful for all of the support I’ve received from everyone,” she wrote on Facebook. “Words cannot really express the emotions I’ve gone through reading and seeing how amazing everyone has been to me. I can’t believe that so many people all over the world took the time to show me support and love.”
Of her fellow artists who have come out to support her since Friday’s decision, Kesha wrote, “Other entertainers who knowingly put their own careers at stake by supporting me, I will be forever grateful.”
The note also addressed the uncertainty surrounding her future as a recording artist and her contract with Dr. Luke’s Sony-owned label, Kemosabe. “All I ever wanted was to be able to make music without being afraid, scared, or abused,” she wrote. “This case has never been about a renegotiation of my record contract – it was never about getting a bigger, or a better deal. This is about being free from my abuser. I would be willing to work with Sony if they do the right thing and break all ties that bind me to my abuser.”
Kesha is currently legally obligated to fulfill her contract with Dr. Luke, whom she has accused of sexual and emotional abuse. Dr. Luke has denied her allegations in court and on social media. “I didn’t rape Kesha and I have never had sex with her,” he posted Monday via Twitter. “It’s sad that she would turn a contract negotiation into something so horrendous and untrue,” he wrote in a separate tweet. “But I feel confident when this is over the lies will be exposed and the truth will prevail…”
During that same run of tweets, Dr. Luke also pointed out that Kesha previously denied having a sexual relationship with him during a 2011 deposition. “Dr. Luke never made sexual advances at me,” Kesha said at the time (video of the deposition has since been released). The deposition was taken for a case between DAS Communications and Gottwald, where she sided with the latter party.
Christine Lepera, attorney for Dr. Luke, has said Kesha is “free to record and release music without working with Dr. Luke as a producer if she doesn’t want to,” but Kesha’s lawyer Mark Geragos called that an “elusive promise.” (A preliminary injuction sought by Kesha in the case was denied last week by a New York State court.)
“At this point, this issue is bigger than just about me,” Kesha wrote in her note on Wednesday, before addressing the larger issue of sexual abuse. “Unfortunately I don’t think that my case is giving people who have been abused confidence that they can speak out, and that’s a problem. But I just want to say that if you have been abused, please don’t be afraid to speak out. There are places that will make you feel safe. There are people who will help you. I for one, will stand beside you and behind you. I know now how this all feels and will forever fight for you the way perfect strangers have been fighting for me.”
She ended by writing, “Yes, I am very much a feminist, but more than that, I am a humanist. I believe in supporting my fellow human beings in being SAFE. We’re all in this together. You are not alone.”
The Facebook post came after she shared a short message on Instagram Tuesday night where she thanked fans for their support and wrote, “A statement too large for this format is coming….”
See her full statement below. For more details on Kesha and Dr. Luke’s lawsuit, see EW’s explainer.