The statement comes after Kesha was denied a preliminary injunction on Friday.
Kesha was denied a request for a preliminary injunction Friday in her lawsuit against producer Lukasz “Dr. Luke” Gottwald that would allow her to exit her contract with him and Sony. On Monday, Dr. Luke’s lawyer, Christine Lepera, released a statement calling the court’s decision proof that “Kesha’s allegations of purported abuse were unconvincing and that she had no basis to void record contacts and copyrights.”
Kesha first accused Dr. Luke of “sexually, physically, verbally, and emotionally [abusing her] to the point where [she] nearly lost her life” in a complaint filed in October 2014. In that complaint, she asked that any contracts she had with Dr. Luke be voided so she could move on with her career without “interference or harassment from [him].”
Dr. Luke responded by filing his own complaint against Kesha, where he claimed Kesha’s accusations of abuse were “a campaign of publishing false and shocking accusations against [Dr. Luke] to extort Plaintiffs into letting Kesha” out of the contract. Lepera reiterated Dr. Luke’s response in the latest statement, where she said, “the allegations against [Dr. Luke] are outright lies that have been advanced to extort a contract renegotiation and money.”
Lepera also said the New York County Supreme Court “found that Kesha is already ‘free’ to record and release music without working with Dr. Luke as a producer if she doesn’t want to,” but Kesha’s lawyer, Mark Geragos, previously called Sony’s offer to let Kesha record without Dr. Luke an “elusive promise,” according to a BuzzFeed reporter.
Read Lepera’s full statement below.
After the decision was made on Friday, the #FreeKesha movement began to trend online and various stars like Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson, Fiona Apple, and Demi Lovato spoke out for the star. This weekend, Taylor Swift’s rep confirmed that she donated $250,000 to Kesha in monetary support.