Blind Willie Johnson’s legacy will continue to live on in a new collection come Feb. 26. Alligator Records will release a tribute album to the gospel blues legend, God Don’t Never Change: The Songs of Blind Willie Johnson, featuring tracks recorded by Tom Waits, Sinéad O’Connor, Lucinda Williams, Derek Trucks & Linda Tedeschi, Cowboy Junkies, and more.
Jeffrey Gaskill, who produced Gotta Serve Somebody: The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan, also produced this album, which includes covers of some of his hit songs like “Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground” and “John The Revelator.”
The collection was funded by crowdsourcing $125,000 in 30 days, according to a release. “I think when Blind Willie Johnson sat down in the recording studio in the late 20s he understood the importance of posterity, that he was recording something to be heard by future generations,” Gaskill said when beginning the effort. “Today, his music is on a spaceship representing mankind in outer space and yet many of his recordings are virtually unknown.”
See the full track list and cover art.
1. Tom Waits: The Soul of a Man
2. Lucinda Williams: It’s Nobody’s Fault But Mine
3. Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi: Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning
4. Cowboy Junkies: Jesus Is Coming Soon
5. The Blind Boys of Alabama: Mother’s Children Have a Hard Time
6. Sinéad O’Connor: Trouble Will Soon Be Over
7. Luther Dickinson: Bye and Bye I’m Going to See the King [ft. The Rising Star Fife & Drum Band]
8. Lucinda Williams: God Don’t Never Change
9. Tom Waits: John the Revelator
10. Maria McKee: Let Your Light Shine on Me
11. Rickie Lee Jones: Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground