Patrick Stewart's Blunt Talk Golden Globes nomination reaction
The actor also commends Starz for receiving a whopping six nominations
Patrick Stewart didn’t realize the Golden Globe nominations would be read Thursday morning, only hearing about his nod for Starz’s Blunt Talk after his wife went online and saw the announcement, he says. Then again, he did have a time difference to wrangle with: Stewart is vacationing in Jamaica.
“I was taken by surprise, which is probably the best way for it to happen,” he tells EW. “And then the phone began ringing, and the texts came and so forth, so it’s all very delightful.”
RELATED: Snubs: Movies | Snubs & surprises: TV | Critical analysis: Movies | Movie nominees react | TV nominees react | Rachel Bloom reacts to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend nom | Lady Gaga reacts to AHS: Hotel nom | Rami Malek and Christian Slater react to Mr. Robot noms | Jeffrey Tambor reacts to Transparent nom | Outlander EP reacts to noms, Sam Heughan snub | Moira Walley-Beckett reacts to nom, end of Flesh and Bone
It’s not quite as dramatic as how his abrasive anchorman character Walter Blunt would have reacted, Stewart notes. “He would have been delighted and obnoxious and intolerable, I think,” he says. “He would be basking in the good feeling.”
WANT MORE EW? Subscribe now to keep up with the latest in movies, television, and music.
The actor’s nomination, this year for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series, Musical or Comedy, is his third, having previously been nominated in 2005 for The Lion in Winter and in 1999 for Moby Dick. But he says he’s more excited about Starz’s stats, as the premium network garnered half a dozen nods, with nominations for Outlander and Flesh and Bone in addition to Stewart’s.
“They got six nominations!” Stewart exclaims, adding that Blunt Talk will start filming again at the end of January, for season 2. “My mind is full of Blunt Talk at the moment, so this is kind of a pat on the back that can launch us onto a second season very happily.”